A 35-year-old man from Hove has been arrested after a nurse suffered a serious eye injury while the March for England and a counter-protest were taking place in Brighton.
The nurse, a 25-year-old woman from Brighton, was an innocent passer-by who was not taking part in either the march or the protest.
She was hit by a missile thrown on Brighton seafront. Her eye was bleeding. Sussex Police said at the time that the possibility of a permanent eye injury had not been ruled out.
The suspect was arrested on Wednesday morning (1 May) after an appeal by police to anyone who saw what happened on Sunday 21 April.
He has been bailed until Wednesday 22 May.
Detective Sergeant Duncan Elliott said: “We are still investigating a number of incidents and offences that occurred on the day of the march and, in particular, we want to talk to anyone with information about people who were throwing missiles.
“Sadly, the nurse who was injured was nothing to do with the march or counter-protesters but quite coincidentally had been walking down to the seafront and had been brought to a halt by the large crowd.”
He urged anyone with information to call Sussex Police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.