• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Jimmy Savile blamed for rise in sex offences in Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Monday 7 Oct, 2013 at 7:12PM
A A
4

The number of sex offences in Brighton and Hove has risen by more than a third since this time last year.

At times more than half the offences being reported were classed as historic sex offences.

The rise in the number of historic sex offences was attributed to the publicity surrounding the late BBC radio and TV presenter Jimmy Savile.

Savile was the subject of several allegations after his death – and other celebrities of his era have since been investigated and arrested over similar allegations.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp, the Sussex Police commander for Brighton and Hove, said: “It is mainly historic offences – those over a month old. That was in large part down to Jimmy Savile.

“For the first time ever in the first part of this year we had more historic offences reported than current offences.

“We’ve seen a slight increase in current offences and I think that’s because people feel more emboldened to report them and that there’s a more sensitive environment in which to report them.”

He made his remarks at a meeting of the Brighton and Hove City Council Community Safety Forum at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Monday 7 October).

A report presented to the meeting said: “The number of police-recorded sexual offences in the first five months of 2013-14 was 164 and this compares with 120 recorded in the same months of 2012-13.

“This continues the increase seen during the second half of 2012-13 with serious sexual offences increasing more than less serious sexual offences.”

The council’s community safety commissioner Linda Beanlands said: “We see this as a sign that victims have greater confidence to come forward and report these to us.”

The report added: “The sexual offences data since April shows considerable fluctuation which is likely to be a result of delayed data entry linked to the implementation of the new police crime management system.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Louise Gallagher says:
    13 years ago

    Hi. Just wanted to point out that I think the headline is rather misleading. Shouldn’t it read ‘rise in the reporting of sex offences’? As it is – especially with the word ‘blame’ – it sounds as if there’s been a rise in actual offences somehow caused by Saville from beyond the grave.

    Reply
  2. Louise Gallagher says:
    13 years ago

    Hi. Just wanted to point out that I think the headline is rather misleading. Shouldn’t it read ‘rise in the reporting of sex offences’? As it is – especially with the word ‘blame’ – it sounds as if there’s been a rise in actual offences somehow caused by Saville from beyond the grave.

    Reply
  3. Nick says:
    13 years ago

    I think it’s a cracking headline, obviously Jimmy isn’t physically involved.
    You only use so much space for a headline, it serves to set the tone for the story, and entice you.

    Reply
  4. Nick says:
    13 years ago

    I think it’s a cracking headline, obviously Jimmy isn’t physically involved.
    You only use so much space for a headline, it serves to set the tone for the story, and entice you.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Jimmy Savile blamed for rise in sex offences in Brighton and Hove

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2013
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News