The two main train companies serving Brighton and Hove have cancelled all rush-hour services tomorrow morning (Monday 28 October) because of the brewing storm.
First Capital Connect said that it was stopping services from midnight and added: “We advise you not to travel.”
Brighton and Hove City Council said: “Residents are being advised not to travel unless they have to and to stay indoors if possible.”
The council said that bins and recycling boxes should not be put out until midday as rounds were being suspended and added: “The seafront should be avoided during the storm.”
Sussex Police repeated the warning after a 14-year-old boy was swept out to sea in Newhaven.
The force said: “At 4.15pm on Sunday 27 October emergency services were called to West Beach at Newhaven after a 14-year-old local boy had been swept away while swimming at the shore with friends.
“An immediate search was begun involving police, coastguard and the inshore lifeboat.
“The friends were not swept off and are safe.
“This is a very distressing incident and everything possible is being done to try to find the boy.
“All agencies remind people of the dangers of being at seashores in adverse weather, especially in view of the approaching severe weather conditions overnight.
“The advice is straightforward – stay clear.”
The council said that winds of 60mph to 70mph had been forecast, with gusts of up to 80mph in exposed areas.
It said: “Persistent and heavy rain is also expected which may cause some surface flooding.
“There is a risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport.”
Train commuters from Brighton, Hove and Portslade face uncertainty and disruption with Southern, the main train operator, saying: “Extremely high winds are expected during the early morning of Monday 28 October.
“As a result Network Rail has declared that there is a high risk of trees and debris falling on to railway lines and, as a consequence, it may be unsafe to run trains while the winds persist.
“Southern and Gatwick Express services will not run tomorrow morning until it has been declared safe to do so.”
Thameslink operator First Capital Connect said: “Gale force winds and heavy rain are forecast across London and the south east of England on Sunday night and Monday morning.
“Services of all rail operators including First Capital Connect are expected to be severely disrupted and may be suspended.
“The storm is expected to be strongest overnight and is likely to lead to fallen trees and damage to buildings.
“In the interests of safety Network Rail have advised us not to operate any trains on our network from midnight on Sunday until it is safe to do so.
“Services are unlikely to resume until after 9am on Monday morning. This measure will allow us to ensure that nothing is blocking the railway.
“We will also be unable to operate any replacement buses when trains are suspended.
“Once trains resume, we will be operating a revised timetable with far fewer services and with extended journey times. It is possible that some lines may remain closed.
“We advise you not to travel.
“If you do need to travel, please ensure you check the latest situation and consider using other modes of transport although it is likely the road network will be similarly disrupted.
“We are very sorry for any disruption. We are working with Network Rail and all other rail operators to ensure that we deliver a safe service.”
The full statement from the council said: “The Met Office is currently forecasting that high winds will reach Brighton and Hove in the early hours of Monday morning.”
“Persistent and heavy rain is also expected which may cause some surface flooding.
“60mph to 70mph winds are predicted, with gusts of up to 80mph in exposed areas. There is a risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport.
“Residents are being advised not to travel unless they have to and to stay indoors if possible.
“The seafront should be avoided during the storm due to the risk of overtopping by waves and wind-blown shingle.
“We are asking residents with a Monday collection not to put out refuse or recycling until midday (Monday 28 October).
“After this, please only put your bin or box out if it can be firmly secured in a position where the contents will not be blown around.
“We will be reviewing refuse and recycling collections again in the morning.
“We will continue to monitor the situation with local emergency services and will pick up any missed collections as quickly as possible.”
Tom Scanlon, director of public health, said: “We’re asking residents not to put out their refuse and recycling until midday on Monday to keep residents and staff as safe as possible during the storm and to minimise the impact of the high winds on the city.
“We are expecting the storm to pass through on Monday so we hope to get collections back to normal as soon as possible.”