• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Restaurant handed £4k bill over mouse infestations

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 6 Feb, 2014 at 6:11PM
A A
0

A Brighton restaurant has been landed with a bill of more than £4,000 after two mouse infestations.

The Sukhothai Palace, in Middle Street, Brighton, admitted four charges of breaching food hygiene laws.

At Brighton Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday 6 February) the company behind the restaurant – Sukhothai Palace Ltd – was fined £500 for each offence.

The company, which has its registered office on Old Shoreham Road, Portslade, was also ordered to pay £1,970 in costs and a £50 victim surcharge, making £4,020 in total.

The company was set up in 2003 by the directors Jitjan and Donald James Connacher.

The Thai restaurant closed voluntarily in June last year after Brighton and Hove City Council food safety officers found an imminent risk to health from an active mouse infestation.

The restaurant cleaned up and reopened but in October when officers returned for a routine inspection they found signs of mice throughout the building.

There were mouse droppings on the floor in the kitchen, in the storeroom, on the threshold by the back door and on the floor in the corridor leading through to the kitchen.

Droppings were also found on the floor under the bar, on a plug attached to an adaptor and outside the door to the basement.

More were found on the external steps and in the cupboard off the stairs in the flat above the restaurant.

Baits and traps had been laid but insufficient effort had been made to block up pest access points, the court was told.

Since the previous inspection in June, cleanliness had also lapsed, with debris on the floors in the dry goods storeroom, the bar and behind equipment in the kitchen.

There were dead insects in the fly machine and grease was running down the kitchen wall from the ventilation canopy.

Officers also found the light level in the corridor between the toilets and the kitchen was so low it was difficult to see to clean properly and inspect for signs of pests.

Councillor Pete West, the chairman of the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee, said: “The restaurant had already been advised in the summer and given a caution about cleanliness and hygiene so should have taken steps to address the problems.

“That didn’t happen so we had no alternative but to prosecute to protect the public.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Restaurant handed £4k bill over mouse infestations

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
February 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
2425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News