Three children in hospital after fire in Brighton

Posted On 20 Mar 2014 at 10:41 am

Three children were taken to hospital after a fire in Brighton in the early hours of this morning (Thursday 20 March).

Fire crews raced to Rugby Place after being told that children were at the window of the property as smoke poured out.

The children escaped the blaze before fire crews arrived. They were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke and taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital near by.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire was in the first floor bathroom and was believed to have been caused by a candle.”

Roedean Crew Commander, Will Marler, said: “There were no working smoke alarms in the property so it is just extremely fortunate that everyone was able to make it out safely.

“It is important to have a working smoke alarm on every floor of the house.

“Having a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time in the event of a fire and increase the chances of getting everyone out alive.

“Candles – like any naked flame – can cause fires. It’s very important that they are in appropriate protective holders and not left unattended.”

Crews from nearby Roedean Fire Station and Preston Circus in Brighton tackled the fire which was reported shortly after 2.15am.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.