• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Cones blamed for Vogue Gyratory accidents

by bhnews
Tuesday 5 Aug, 2014 at 3:16PM
A A
4

Could cones be responsible for a chain of accidents at the Vogue Gyratory roadworks?

The worried driver who filmed this YouTube video certainly thinks so.

Since the roadworks started last month, they’ve witnessed three accidents at the junction, which they believe were all caused at least in part by the positioning of the cones.

The driver, who regularly drives along Lewes Road, said: “I’ve seen three accidents now since the roadworks started, and the cones seem to have played a part in all of them.

“The problem is that the traffic charges ahead without realising the lane ahead is merging around the corner.

“You are always seeing vehicles braking sharply to avoid a crash, or veering into the outside lane.

“What would happen if there was traffic queuing for Sainsbury’s – where would the traffic go then? The lane should be coned off before the lights.”

The  first accident they witnessed was on the afternoon of Sunday, July 20, between a car and the number 78 bus.

Then on Saturday, July 26, a taxi crashed with a van.

Finally, at 2.20pm on Sunday (August 3), a car and a bus crashed in the same spot.

A council spokesperson said after checking with police no record could be found of the accidents, but that extra cones and signage would be introduced as a result of the concerns raised.

He said: “With regards to the merging traffic in the northbound carriageway at the Vogue Gyratory we have installed advance warning signs showing the start of the roadworks and a further warning sign indicating a narrowing carriageway ahead.

“This is standard signage, consistent with national guidelines, and has been in place since the start of the roadworks.

“However, in light of the concerns raised we will be increasing the number and visibility of signs and are reviewing the positioning of the traffic cones on this approach.

“Our contractors are carrying out daily risk assessments and have reported that the traffic is generally flowing well.”

A spokeswoman for Brighton and Hove Bus Company said: “As a result of the two incidences reported, we are in discussions with the council to review and assess the current layout of the cones and road signs at this particular location of the Vogue Gyratory.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Caeos says:
    12 years ago

    Of course the police won’t if details exchanged . notice it’s now cones before the junction

    Reply
  2. Caeos says:
    12 years ago

    Of course the police won’t if details exchanged . notice it’s now cones before the junction

    Reply
  3. Peter horseman says:
    12 years ago

    If the council contractors had put out the correct chapter 8 that they should have done then most of these accidents would not of happened.

    Reply
  4. Peter horseman says:
    12 years ago

    If the council contractors had put out the correct chapter 8 that they should have done then most of these accidents would not of happened.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Cones blamed for Vogue Gyratory accidents

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News