Fire crews tackle blaze at Brighton nursing home which received critical inspection report

Posted On 18 Aug 2014 at 12:14 pm

Fire crews tackled a blaze at a Brighton nursing home late last night (Sunday 17 August) when a tumble dryer caught alight.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews from Preston Circus and Hove were sent to the scene in Heath Hill Avenue.”

They were called to Hazelgrove Nursing Home at Heath Hill Lodge, in Heath Hill Avenue, Bevendean, at about 10.30pm.

The fire service said: “Everyone was accounted for and there are no reports of injuries.

“The fire was accidental.”

The home caters for up to 37 people and specialises in looking after residents with Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s and hearing difficulties.

Last month the Care Quality Commission (CQC) published a critical report after carrying out an inspection in May.

It took enforcement action over staffing, supporting workers and the care and welfare of people who use the home’s services.

The CQC said that action was needed on meeting the nutritional needs of residents, requirements relating to workers and the assessment and monitoring of the quality of the services provided.

The report said: “People were not protected from the risks of inadequate nutrition and dehydration.”

Inspectors were told that the home, run by a company called Yara Enterprise, had difficulty recruiting staff.

There had, for example, been no activities co-ordinator since April so residents were often left in the rooms or in the dining room.

The report said: “There were not enough qualified, skilled and experienced staff to meet people’s needs.”

The CQC served warning notices relating to the most critical judgments.

To read the CQC report, click here.

 

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.