• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Hove Park School says GCSE results show benefits of focusing on progress for all

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 21 Aug, 2014 at 6:05AM
A A
6

Hove Park School said that its GCSE results showed “huge leaps forward” in pupil progress.

And disadvantaged pupils performed particularly well, with the most able students also surpassing expectations.

The proportion of students achieving five GCSEs graded A* to C, including English and maths, was 62 per cent.

This was a drop from 65 per cent last year partly resulting from significant changes to the qualifications and to the way that results are counted.

Head teacher Derek Trimmer said that he was pleased for his students and staff in what he described as “an interesting year in education”.

Derek Trimmer
Derek Trimmer

He said: “Students have improved their performance across the board at Hove Park School.

“After years of only valuing C grades, government performance measures have changed to look at the progress of all students.

“At Hove Park School, student progress has made huge leaps forward, with pupil premium and gifted and talented students the most successful.”

Last year the school gave iPads to all pupils. Mr Trimmer said that one of the main reasons was to “level the playing field for all learners”.

He said: “Giving students access to world-class technology will enable students from every background to achieve.”

And he believes that this year’s GCSE results show that this is already starting to happen.

He said: “In English and maths the number of students making three levels of progress during their time at secondary school – probably the fairest way to measure a school’s effectiveness – has risen to 12 percentage points above the national average in English and just above the national average in maths.

“The most disadvantaged students, who are eligible for extra funding through the Pupil Premium, have performed particularly well, with a gap of only 14 per cent between FSM (free school meals) and non-FSM, half the national average.

“In most schools there is a clear gap between FSM and non-FSM students. At Hove Park we have managed to reduce that gap.

“The most able students have also surpassed expectations – 23 students have achieved eight or more A* or A grades, a massive increase on 2013.

“It has been an interesting year in education. In the autumn the government stopped schools from being able to count the best entry in an exam and replaced it with the first entry.

“There will be a lot of schools this year who have two headline figures. It will be difficult for parents to understand which schools have done well and which schools have struggled.

“The government has also warned that the national average will take a dip this year and parents should expect lower grades.

“We have seen this at the C/D border and so we have not made the same leap forward with the five A*to C figure that we have in overall student progress.

“The previous system encouraged schools to concentrate on intervention with C/D students.

“This resulted in students who were able to pass exams but did not have the necessary skills for a successful future.

“Hove Park School has moved on by concentrating on progress for all.

“We are very pleased to be celebrating with all our staff and students today.

“At long last, everyone’s achievement counts – not just the most able.”

He said that the school encouraged all students to follow a traditional curriculum, with 94 per cent studying EBacc subjects – English, maths, a science, a foreign language and history or geography.

This strategy had also succeeded with 84 per cent of students gaining pass grades in English literature and 32 per cent gaining the EBacc measure, which is double the national figure.

Other subject areas to have made big improvements include drama and music which have been squeezed out of the curriculum in many schools.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Marvin says:
    12 years ago

    This is all spin.
    Mr Trimmers expensive iPad project has clearly failed with results now falling.
    This comes as no surprise to many.

    Reply
  2. Marvin says:
    12 years ago

    This is all spin.
    Mr Trimmers expensive iPad project has clearly failed with results now falling.
    This comes as no surprise to many.

    Reply
  3. Handsoffhovepark says:
    12 years ago

    Well done to the whole of the school community, especially students and teachers …and now let’s carry on focussing on what matters and what is obviously working without the distraction and risks of academisation getting in the way.

    Reply
  4. Handsoffhovepark says:
    12 years ago

    Well done to the whole of the school community, especially students and teachers …and now let’s carry on focussing on what matters and what is obviously working without the distraction and risks of academisation getting in the way.

    Reply
  5. Jan says:
    12 years ago

    Well done ! An excellent set of results given government changes. Thank you Mr Trimmer and all the fabulous staff at Hove Park.

    Reply
  6. Jan says:
    12 years ago

    Well done ! An excellent set of results given government changes. Thank you Mr Trimmer and all the fabulous staff at Hove Park.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Hove Park School says GCSE results show benefits of focusing on progress for all

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

1,500 homes without water

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News