• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Drugs and sex attacks may cost Portslade bar its licence

by Frank le Duc
Friday 22 Aug, 2014 at 3:59PM
A A
0

A bar on Portslade seafront may lose its licence after Sussex Police raised concerns about drunkenness, drug use and sexual assaults.

The force has applied for a review of the premises licence for the Harbour View, in Wellington Road, Portslade.

It will present evidence to a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel and ask it to decide whether the premises should be allowed to stay open.

Sussex Police said that officers had become concerned about the way that the bar was being run, adding: “The latest licence for the bar was issued to its owner in October 2013 but since then there have been a number of incidents of concern associated with the premises.

“Among them have been assaults on police officers called to disturbances involving underage Harbour View customers, children being sold alcohol and reports of women being sexually assaulted.

“Licensing officers have found traces of cocaine in both public and private areas of the venue and heroin in a public part of the venue.

“Two people living in the flat above the venue that belonged to the owner were arrested for immigration offences in November.

“There have also been recorded breaches of the conditions of the licence, including a lack of working CCTV, no training records being available and no evidence that toilets were being regularly checked.

“On (Monday) 28 July, during a test purchase operation, a member of staff sold alcohol to a 16-year-old girl.

“Not only was the child not asked to prove she was at least 18 but she was offered the chance to buy doubles rather than singles.”

Sergeant Simon Morgan, the Brighton and Hove licensing supervisor for Sussex Police, said: “Submitting a review application is the last course of action we will take on our stepped approach to enforcement.

“However, the serious nature of the incidents at the premises have left us with no other option.”

Jean Irving, the force’s licensing and public safety manager, said: “Due to the number of times officers have compelled the owner of Harbour View to adhere to the conditions of the licence, without success, I believe there is no alternative other than to ask the licensing committee to give serious consideration to revoking the premises licence of the venue.

“Despite numerous interventions by our officers and Brighton and Hove City Council, there have been continued failures by the management and staff to promote the licensing objectives, which are designed to protect children from harm and prevent crime and disorder.

“The management has shown a clear disregard to the conditions of the licence.

“This is unacceptable and we will not stand by while people are being put at risk because of behaviour inside the venue.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Drugs and sex attacks may cost Portslade bar its licence

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News