• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Trio jailed for racist and homophobic attacks

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 25 Nov, 2014 at 9:49AM
A A
0
Trio jailed for racist and homophobic attacks

(L-R) Brachman, Pryer and Wilson

Three men have been jailed after being found guilty of a vicious homophobic assault and a racially motivated attack in Brighton.

(L-R) Brachman, Pryer and Wilson
From left, Bradley Brachman, Rhys Pryer and Andrew Wilson

Bradley Brachman, 19, unemployed, of Egmont Road, Hove, Rhys Pryer, 19, also unemployed, of Wilfrid Road, Hove, and Andrew Wilson, a painter, of Manor Hill, Brighton, were all found guilty of wounding with intent and assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH).

They were convicted on Thursday 23 October after an 11-day trial at Brighton Crown Court. Wilson was also found guilty of stealing a mobile phone.

They were all remanded in custody and appeared for sentencing on Friday (21 November) where they each received four years’ imprisonment for wounding and one year to run consecutively for ABH. Wilson also received six months for theft to run concurrently.

The men attacked the first victim, who was aged 40 at the time, just before midnight on Friday 16 August last year. They set about him with bottles at the junction of Edward Street and Dorset Place, striking him several times around his head, causing wounds that needed hospital treatment and which have resulted in permanent scarring.

They then moved on to the bottom of St James’s Street where they hurled homophobic abuse at a 34-year-old man before punching him and chasing him across Old Steine to the bus stops near Pavilion Gardens where they continued the assault.

He was taken to hospital where his wounds required stitching. During the assault, Wilson snatched the victim’s phone as he was trying to call police.

In summing up, Judge Anthony Niblett described the attacks as unprovoked and vicious. He said that the attacks were motivated by the strong eastern European accent of the first victim and the fact that the second man was gay.

He agreed with a witness who said that if she hadn’t stopped and intervened in the first incident the man may well have been killed.

In sentencing them, Judge Niblett said that he was satisfied that they targeted the first man due to him being eastern European. They had not attacked his English friend who was with him. Similarly, they attacked their second victim for no other reason than being gay.

The judge also formally commended the witness who was driving past when the first attack happened and called police. She intervened by shouting at the men to stop and if she had not, the attack would have continued and may even have resulted in the victim being killed. She was also able to provide crucial evidence to the police and the court and was awarded £300.

Detective Constable Chris Bishop, of Sussex Police, also received a formal commendation for the care that he had given to the victims and the “expert and thorough” investigation that he had carried out.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Trio jailed for racist and homophobic attacks

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
November 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News