A Chinese lantern is believed to have started a blaze at a building site near Brighton Station.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “One Fire Engine from Preston Circus was mobilised to the address on Fleet Street at 6.48pm on (Thursday) 21 May following reports of a fire in the open.
“Crews used one hose reel jet to extinguish the flames. They then spent 30 minutes damping down to make the site safe.
“The cause of the fire was found to be accidental due to a Chinese lantern that had landed in the area.”
Station Manager Richard Moon said: “With the warmer weather approaching and people going out to enjoy the longer days, we want to remind the public of the unpredictable nature of Chinese lanterns.
“Once lit they can travel for miles and you have no control over where they land. If this lantern had landed on a house or in a field, the outcome could have been very different. East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would urge people not to use them.”
A case study on a fire caused by a Chinese lantern can be found on our Black Museum website page.
The virtual Black Museum highlights potential causes of fire and provides important safety messages. It contains a library of images and stories from a range of different incidents, detailing the causes and circumstances of the fire and often includes a powerful impact statement from those affected.