1) It was almost 15 years to the day that Micky Adams’s Albion team lost to Southend at Roots Hall when Michel Kuipers was infamously substituted at half time. However, although it is far less discussed, so was current commercial manager Paul Rogers. Out of the 22 players who played that day none were involved last night although Bobby Zamora was named in the programme for both matches as an Albion player.
2) That the Seagulls are to sign their first German player probably since Dirk Lehmann. Uwe Hünemeier is expected to complete his transfer from Bundesliga club Paderborn today (Wednesday 12 August).
3) That Albion are reversing their League Cup fortunes. Having had a poor record for so many years and after last year’s 4th round exploits, the Seagulls no longer fall at the first hurdle to lower league teams.
4) Although he has been around for a number of years, it seems likely that this was the first team that the likeable Southend manger Phil Brown had led against the Albion.
5) That BBC Sussex co-commentator Warren Aspinall gives a wonderful and hugely knowledgable insight into a match. Aspinall represented Portsmouth, Aston Villa and Albion among others in a distinguised playing career.