• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton after school club to close because of funding shortfall

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 4 Feb, 2016 at 8:29PM
A A
0
Whitehawk After School Project wins praise

Whitehawk After School Project children and play worker Gary Allan with Caroline Ridley, CEO of Impact Initiatives, receive funding from Sussex police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne

A Brighton after school club, valued by some of the area’s poorest parents, is to close within weeks because of a funding shortfall.

The closure of the Whitehawk After School Project (WASP) is expected to affect up to a hundred children.

Members of the Brighton and Hove City Council Overview and Scrutiny Committee were informed of the decision yesterday (Wednesday 3 February).

The project is based at the City Academy Whitehawk, formerly Whitehawk Primary School, in Whitehawk Road, Brighton.

Whitehawk After School Project children and play worker Gary Allan with Caroline Ridley, CEO of Impact Initiatives, receive funding from Sussex police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne
Whitehawk After School Project children and play worker Gary Allan with Caroline Ridley, CEO of Impact Initiatives, receive funding from Sussex police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne

A letter has been sent to parents and staff by Caroline Ridley, the chief executive of Impact Initiatives, the charity that runs the after school project.

Impact Initiatives said in one letter, giving notice of the closure: “I am writing to inform you that we have had to make the incredibly difficult decision to close the WASP After School Club at the end of this term. Our last day will be (Thursday) 24 March.

“As we currently work with over 100 children, many of whom are referred to us as there are child protection issues, we have let the school know as soon as possible so they have time to make alternative arrangements for these children and their families. We are no longer taking any referrals.

“We will be sending a letter to parents to also inform them. The club enables a significantly higher number of parents than in recent years to work so they too will be affected.

“This decision is purely financial. Demand for the service is high and the amazing results it brings, as stated in our last Ofsted report, continue.

City Academy Whitehawk head David Williams
City Academy Whitehawk head David Williams

“Impact have for over 20 years raised money to go alongside funding from Brighton and Hove City Council. We currently bring 65 per cent of the total needed.

“Impact has invested a significant amount of time and money this year to keep the club running while we try to negotiate further support but we cannot continue to do this.

“We need to reapply for ongoing funds from Children in Need this year and without any school or statutory funding it is highly unlikely the application will be successful.

“Closing the after school club will mean we no longer have a staff team in place and so will not be able to run the summer play scheme this year.”

The council previously used pupil premium payments to help fund the project which supports exactly the sort of children for which the pupil premium was designed.

One councillor said after the Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting that the closure raised questions about how the pupil premium money was being used by the academy.

The academy is sponsored by City College Brighton and Hove. Academy head David Williams is due to leave at the end of the school year in July.

Like the after school project, Ofsted rated the academy good in its most recent inspection.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton after school club to close because of funding shortfall

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News