• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton kebab boss landed with £3.6k bill for breaching prohibition notice

by Frank le Duc
Monday 8 Feb, 2016 at 6:16PM
A A
0
Brighton kebab boss landed with £3.6k bill for breaching prohibition notice

The owner of a Brighton kebab shop has been landed with a £3,600 bill for allowing people to sleep above the shop in beach of a prohibition notice.

Nafiz Karaca, of North Street, Eastbourne, admitted the offence when he was brought before Eastbourne magistrates.

His fellow leaseholder, Mustafa Duran, 50, of Elm Lodge, Canterbury Drive, Brighton, has denied two charges and is due back in court on Wednesday 30 March.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that it was “reminding owners of takeaway restaurants with sleeping accommodation above of their legal responsibilities” following the court case.

Golden Grill Pool Valley Brighton

Karaca, was one of two leaseholders running the Golden Grill, in Pool Valley, Brighton.

The notice that he pleaded guilty to breaching ordered that the premises should not be used for sleeping until better fire safety precautions were put in place.

Karaca was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay the full £2,454.10 court costs of the case and a court surcharge of £150.

The court was told that inspecting officers visited the premises in February 2012 after a complaint was received and as a result they issued the prohibition notice.

Karaca took over the premises in June 2012 and it opened as the Golden Grill in July 2012.

In October 2013 inspecting officers visited the premises to check that the prohibition notice was being complied with.

They found a number of people sleeping there in direct contravention of the notice.

Karaca was issued with an “informal caution” stating that the fire service did not intend to prosecute on that occasion.

The “caution” said that if there were further breaches of fire safety legislation in the future, the fire service would seriously consider bringing the matter to court.

The premises were visited again in November 2014 and again people were found to be sleeping there.

While the breach was being investigated, the fire service said that a third breach of the prohibition notice was found.

The sentencing magistrate said: “We are very concerned, as most people are, that fire prevention is a key part of people’s safety.

“In determining the level of the fine, the magistrates took account of Mr Karaca’s early guilty plea, co-operation and the prohibition notice having since been lifted and reduced the fine from £1,500 to £1,000.”

The fire service’s head of business safety Richard Fowler said: “The fire service considers this matter as being among the most serious that it encounters.

“Dangerous conditions had been identified and Mr Karaca was instructed not to allow sleeping above the shop yet staff were discovered sleeping there on several occasions.

“The fine handed down by the court today reflects the serious nature of the offence.

“Owners of any premises where the fire service has served a formal legal notice are reminded of the importance of complying with the notice and of the potential consequences of not doing so.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton kebab boss landed with £3.6k bill for breaching prohibition notice

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News