• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Video – High winds bring down wall at flats in Portslade

by Frank le Duc
Monday 8 Feb, 2016 at 6:50PM
A A
4
Video – High winds bring down wall at flats in Portslade

High winds have blown down an aerial and brought down the end wall of a block of flats in Portslade this afternoon (Monday 8 February).

Four people in two flats in Dudney Court, Windlesham Close, Portslade, have been told to find alternative accommodation until the damage can be assessed and repaired.


Brighton and Hove City Council said that the storm force winds had seriously damaged the three-storey block.

An official said: ““The upper and middle floors are now uninhabitable and (it is) doubtful if the ground floor will be either.

“There are other flats in the block and at the moment the utilities are connected and working.

“A safe haven is available to residents in a local sheltered housing block if required.”

A council member said: “About 60 per cent of the brick wall on the south of the building has collapsed.

“There is also a hole in the roof space where the interior wooden section has disappeared.”

The council’s housing maintenance contractor Mears sent staff and Sussex Police went to the block which contains six flats.

A neighbour said: “The council has cordoned off the block. They’ve told the people in two of the top flats – on the top floor and the first floor – they’ve got to find alternative accommodation.

“The council had been told that the aerial was too heavy for the wall.

“The people in the top flat and middle flat had been telling them ever since they put up the communal aerials and dishes they could hear them banging against the wall.

“The wall is only one brick thick. Eighteen flats are without TV now although two of those flats are not going to have anyone until they’ve been sorted out.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    11 years ago

    “They’ve” got to find alternative accommodation? I think BHCC has to rehouse them temporarily doesn’t it?

    Reply
  2. Deborah Freeman says:
    11 years ago

    Can’t believe what I just read the tenants have got to find there own accommodation I thought that was the council job to do that

    Reply
  3. Mick W says:
    11 years ago

    So what was the outer skin that fell away tied to?

    Reply
  4. tracey says:
    11 years ago

    the council do a rubbish job, they waste money on new parks and fun days but not use the money to good use and their properties that need their attention. they are building more homes but paying less attention to home they already have and the tenants are suffering.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Video – High winds bring down wall at flats in Portslade

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News