• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Government rejects meningitis petition signed by thousands of people from Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 2 Mar, 2016 at 5:47PM
A A
0
Government rejects meningitis petition signed by thousands of people from Brighton and Hove

The government has rejected a petition pleading for the meningitis B vaccine to be given to all children, not just babies.

Thousands of people from Brighton and Hove were among more than 800,000 nationwide to have signed the petition.

Petitions with more than 100,000 signatures are debated in Parliament. The meningitis B petition is reported to be the most popular petition on the Parliament website.

It said: “All children are at risk from this terrible infection yet the government plan to only vaccinate two to five-month-olds.

“There needs to be a rollout programme to vaccinate all children, at least up to age 11.

“Meningococcal infections can be very serious, causing meningitis, septicaemia and death.”

Immunisation generic

The Department for Health responded by saying that the vaccine “is offered to infants, free on the NHS, at two months with further doses at four and 12 months”.

It said: “The programme, as advised by independent experts, offers protection to those at highest risk.”

It added that Britain was the first –and to date the only – country to introduce a national, publicly funded immunisation programme for infants using the Bexsero vaccine.

The department said: “We are leading the world in offering children protection from this devastating disease.

“National immunisation programmes are introduced on the advice of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), the independent expert body that advises the Government on all immunisation matters.

“(The) JCVI reviewed all available evidence before it advised on eligibility for the Bexsero vaccine.

“It recommended that meningitis B immunisation should be routinely offered to the group of children at the highest risk – infants at two months of age with a further dose at four months and a booster at 12 months, provided that the vaccine could be procured at a cost-effective price.

“There is a duty on the Secretary of State for Health to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the recommendations of the JCVI are implemented.”

Immunisation generic

The programme started on (Tuesday) 1 September last year, the department said, for two-month-olds – babies born on or after (Wednesday) 1 July.

It added: “A one-off catch-up programme was recommended by (the) JCVI for infants born from (Friday) 1 May 2015 to (Tuesday) 30 June 2015.

“This ensured that those infants were offered the vaccine before the winter peak of the disease.

“By May 2017, all children under the age of two years will have been offered the vaccine.

“The vaccine is also available for a small number of older children and adults who are at increased risk of infection, such as those with no spleen.

“The NHS budget is a finite resource. It is therefore essential that (the) JCVI’s recommendations are underpinned by evidence of cost-effectiveness.

“Offering the vaccine outside of (the) JCVI’s advice would not be cost effective and would not therefore represent a good use of NHS resources which should be used to benefit the health and care of the most people possible.

“When any new immunisation programme is introduced there has to be a cut-off date to determine eligibility.

“While this is extremely difficult for parents whose children aren’t eligible there is no other way of establishing new programmes to target those at highest risk without introducing inequalities.

“This approach is supported by the best evidence and by independent recommendations. (The) JCVI considered older age groups (one to four-year-olds) but did not advise a catch-up programme in view of the marginal cost-effectiveness of even the infant programme.”

The department also said that not all strains of the group B meningococcal bacteria were covered by the vaccine and cases could still occur in vaccinated infants and children.

It added: “There are also other strains of meningococcal disease for which there is currently no vaccine.

“It therefore remains important for parents to be alert to the symptoms of meningococcal disease such as fever, blotchy skin, refusal to feed, irritability, cold hands and feet, rash, muscle pain, and a stiff body with jerky movements or else floppy and lifeless.

“They should trust their instincts and seek urgent medical attention if they have concerns.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Government rejects meningitis petition signed by thousands of people from Brighton and Hove

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News