• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

NHS England to shut four out of five threatened surgeries in Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 2 Mar, 2016 at 11:59PM
A A
1
Most family doctors in Brighton and Hove are less than five years from retirement

The Willow House surgery in Bevendean before it was demolished

The NHS looks increasingly likely to close four out of the five threatened surgeries in Brighton and Hove.

The surgeries are run by The Practice (Group) Limited in Bevendean, Hangleton, Whitehawk, North Street, in Brighton, and Morley Street, in Brighton.

But The Practice gave notice on its contract to run the five surgeries when NHS England said that it was looking to reduce payments to the company.

It was due to pull out in June but has extended its notice period until September in at least one case and until January for the homeless practice in Morley Street.

NHS England, the part of the National Health Service responsible for doctors’ surgeries in Brighton and Hove, held a panel meeting yesterday (Tuesday 1 March) to discuss the matter.

The Willow surgery in Bevendean
The Willow surgery in Bevendean

Officials believe that the surgeries are too small to survive in their current format and favour “dispersing” their patient lists.

They are under pressure to make an exception for the 1,400 homeless patients registered with the specialist practice in Morley Street. Even there, the well-regarded surgery may move to other premises.

About 11,500 patients are affected across the five GP surgeries and some of them have already tried to register elsewhere.

But some neighbouring doctors’ surgeries have redrawn their boundaries or closed their lists. Others have discouraged patients from moving yet.

NHS England wrote to patients in January although some patients have criticised the letter as being hard to understand and said that it created panic and confusion rather than provided reassurance.

Some campaigners criticised NHS England for not admitting patients to the panel meeting yesterday.

Officials have promised to reveal their hand in the coming fortnight but are maintaining silence to prevent panic, oblivious to criticism that their silence is fuelling fear and uncertainty.

At least one critic said that in reality they were delaying the delivery of bad news and giving people as little time as possible to challenge the planned closures.

Goodwood Court Medical Centre
Goodwood Court Medical Centre

NHS England has previously said that there is too little time to run a proper procurement process to find a new provider for the existing surgeries.

However, elsewhere in the country, such as Wokingham, surgeries are being “commissioned” and providers found within six months.

The pattern of reassurance and the suspicion that closure announcements are imminent follow the much-criticised handling of the closures of Eaton Place surgery in Brighton and Goodwood Court in Hove last year.

NHS England is believed to want far fewer but much bigger surgeries despite the transport and financial difficulties that this would present for the poorest and least mobile patients.

In Bevendean, where the Willows surgery is one of the five surgeries facing closure, hundreds of people signed a petition in just a few hours to try to save the practice.

In Whitehawk a high proportion of the patients registered with The Practice in the past year after the closure of Eaton Place in Kemp Town.

Further news is expected in about a week’s time.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. richard chambers says:
    10 years ago

    Having just moved from Wokingham, it seems ironic to compare.

    Wokingham has a fantastic surgery on amazing facilities which is being destroyed by the population. I was a part of the patient group and saw how the surgery bent over back wards to try and meet increasing demands in an environment of decreasing funding. They introduced phone calls but the demand I saw at first hand has become unrelenting. The doctors tried to rationalise their time for their own survival and this has lead to completely unreasonable complaints and even a parliamentary enquiry.

    I realised it is us patients that are destroying thr NHS – either by over demanding want or not realising the source of the issues come from government.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

NHS England to shut four out of five threatened surgeries in Brighton and Hove

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News