• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton landlord given go ahead to turn family home into shared house despite neighbours’ objections

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 30 Mar, 2016 at 8:59PM
A A
0
Student housing issues raised at Brighton meeting

A Brighton landlord has been given planning permission to turn a family home in Hollingdean into a shared house despite objections from more than two dozen neighbours.

Lee Bolingbroke, of Withdean Close, Brighton, wants to turn a four-bedroom two-storey mid-terrace house in Barnett Road into a five-bedroom shared house.

He wants to turn the lounge into a bedroom and the kitchen into a kitchen and dining room.

Members of the Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee debated Mr Bolingbroke’s application for about an hour this afternoon (Wednesday 30 March).

Councillor Tracey Hill
Councillor Tracey Hill

Most of the 12 councillors at the meeting – held at Portslade Town Hall – expressed sympathy for the neighbours.

But seven were persuaded of the case for granting permission to turn the property into an HMO (house in multiple occupation).

Councillor Tracey Hill, one of the Labour councillors who represents Hollingdean and Stanmer Ward, spoke against the application.

Councillor Hill, who is not a member of the Planning Committee, said that the property was already a shared house – despite not having permission. And, she said, neighbours had already had to complain about noise.

She was concerned that other homes near by were unauthorised HMOs in an area that already had a significant number of student houses.

The council’s policy is to refuse planning permission for prospective HMOs if 10 per cent of the properties within 50 metres are already shared houses.

In this case there were three HMOs within 50 metres – or just over 8 per cent.

Councillor Les Hamilton
Councillor Les Hamilton

Committee members were warned that if they refused permission, the applicant would have good grounds for appeal and the council would risk footing the bill, which could include the applicant’s legal fees.

Two councillors – Andrew Wealls, a Conservative, and Labour member Les Hamilton – criticised the quality of the investigation into the extent of shared houses in the area.

Mr Bolingbroke, the landlord, sent a letter to the committee. He said that he was an experienced landlord and had let property for over 16 years.

He said: “I understand the neighbours’ concerns.”

He was willing to give them his mobile phone number so that they could call him if there were any problems – noise and rubbish were two mentioned by objectors.

Councillor Dick Page
Councillor Dick Page

Mr Bolingbroke said: “I am willing to pay for a gardener to keep the garden tidy.”

And he added: “I feel there is a strong need locally to provide students with good quality housing.

“The students I have dealt with over the years have been very sensible.”

Green councillor Dick Page said: “I have a lot of HMOs in my ward which are not on the HMO register.

“We’ve got a large number of residents near by who are objecting as well as a very well-informed ward councillor.

“We have to be bold and send a message that there are enough student households in this neighbourhood.”

But his fellow Green, Phélim Mac Cafferty, a former chairman of the Planning Committee, said that they had to make a decision on the evidence in front of them.

Three councillors voted against the application, two abstained and seven supported it.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton landlord given go ahead to turn family home into shared house despite neighbours’ objections

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News