• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

More than 1,000 people have their say on new powers to stop camping and fly-tipping in Brighton and Hove parks

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 4 May, 2016 at 11:40AM
A A
0
Dozens of caravans return to Wild Park as closure of official traveller pitch means they cannot be moved on

Travellers in Wild Park in August 2015 - one of the many camps in the city's open spaces before PSPO orders came into force.

By Alex Cook

More than 1,000 people have told the council their views on new council powers to clamp down on traveller camps and anti-social behaviour in the city’s open spaces.

Travellers in Wild Park in August following the closure of the Horsdean site
Travellers in Wild Park in August following the closure of the Horsdean site

A public consultation by Brighton and Hove City Council on plans to impose Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) on 12 sites across the city saw 1,100 people take part – one of the highest responses to date.

PSPOs would grant the council powers to issue fines and summons in areas where there is significant evidence of anti-social behaviour including: occupation of the land by people in caravans, vehicles or tents, fly tipping, fires and defecating.

A policy report published by the policy and resources committee last year said: “The occupation of these areas causes nuisance and annoyance for settled communities.

“Settled local communities report that occupation of the land and premises disrupts their ability to utilise that space as they feel intimidated by the presence of groups of people.”

Hove resident Michael Murray from the Brighton and Hove Environmental Action Group, which tracks the effects of unauthorised encampments on city parkland, supported the new powers.

He said: “There is 20 years of recorded fact on the impact of unlawful traveller trespass across this city. The cost to the residents of Brighton and Hove is totally unsustainable.”

The main areas under consideration, which reflect the number of incidents recorded are: Greenway, Hollingbury Park, Lawn Memorial Cemetery Woodingdean and Preston Park.

Under the new order the council could demand removal of any vehicles, structures or tents within 12 hours and require culprits to give their names and addresses.

However, some people said it could result in vulnerable groups being further marginalised.

Michelle Gavin from charity Friends, Families and Travellers which seeks to end racism and discrimination against gypsies and traveller communities said: “If people can’t provide their address they could be arrested on the spot.

“It will further marginalise and ultimately criminalise people who have nowhere to live. Where will it stop?”

And Secretary of Ditchling Rise Residents Association, Elspeth Broady said it could : “I’m not convinced that PSPOs will address the problems we face caring for green spaces such as Brighton Greenway.

“Dog poo, tagging and litter are the biggest problems and there’s already legislation to deal with those. Criminalising homeless people sleeping out does nothing to help solve homelessness.”

As it stands most anti-social behaviour is considered a civil offence meaning dealing with it can be a lengthy and expensive process for the council.

Under the new guidelines breaching a PSPO will constitute a criminal offence resulting in a fixed penalty notice or an immediate summons being served.

Other residents have raised concerns of a displacement effect meaning anti-social behaviour would move to other areas like The Level where it could not be criminalised.

Views of respondents will now be used by the council to draw up a detailed proposal.

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the environment committee, said: “I would like to thank all the people and organisations who have taken the time to give their views on the idea of introducing public space protection orders in some of the city’s open spaces.

“It really is invaluable to have this level of detail which will feed into how we take this forward. All views will be taken into account and we’ll be discussing the consultation results at the policy and resources committee in July.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

More than 1,000 people have their say on new powers to stop camping and fly-tipping in Brighton and Hove parks

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
May 2016
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News