• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

i360 still on track for summer opening as test flights delayed

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 12 May, 2016 at 7:39AM
A A
6
i360’s glass donut is now complete

By Kevin Meredith

The i360 says it is still on track to open this summer despite a two month delay in its test flights starting.

By Kevin Meredith
By Kevin Meredith

The attraction announced last month it was planning on attaching a spire to the top of the tower, which will make it the tallest observation tower outside London, with only the Shard outreaching it in the UK.

However, people eager to see the glass donut in action have begun to ask when the test flights – which the i360 said in January would be starting in March – will be happening.

This has prompted rumours the opening date may have slipped – and reports it could be open as soon as June seem unlikely as ticket sales have not yet started.

@BA_i360 @Eleanor_Harris Come on. When’s lift off. I thought it was meant to be March for testing.

— Paul Zara (@paulzara) May 10, 2016


But the i360 says the spire will not delay its summer opening, and test flights should be starting imminently – and an opening date will be announced nearer the time.

Chief executive Eleanor Harris said: “British Airways i360 is on track to open this summer. The beach building is progressing well, the windows and electrics are in and the internal walls are up. The main structures of the toll booths have been completed.

“We are all very excited about the launch and we will be announcing an opening date nearer the time.

“We plan to open ticket sales around four weeks beforehand.”

In the meantime, anyone keen to see the test flight will have to make do with this “secret” version posted on YouTube:

A planning application for the spire, which will add 11.45m to the height of the tower, taking it to 173.45m above sea level, was made in March and also includes the addition of a children’s play zone inside the beach building and a proposal for the eastern West Pier toll booth to become a tea room.

West Pier Trust chief executive Rachel Clark said: “We are thrilled that the original toll booths from the West Pier are being rebuilt and returned to public use; and the West Pier Trust hopes that in due course they may be joined by a rebuilt octagonal kiosk.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Andrew says:
    10 years ago

    Funny that they couldn’t put the wind turbine on the top but it’s still OK to put another 11m spire on?

    Reply
  2. Chris says:
    10 years ago

    I’m not sure what word would suit it better but “flight” gives me a vision of the doughnut thingy accelerating up the tube and then disappearing out to sea when it reaches the top – or is that just wishful thinking!

    Reply
    • Valerie says:
      10 years ago

      OH! If only!

      In the era of drones taking photos from great heights, skyscrapers to live in if you like that sort of viewing practice, this throw-back ‘attraction’ is redundant junk. And its hideous appearance upsets the entire seafront and its views. A huge pity.

      Reply
  3. Gerald Wiley says:
    10 years ago

    And as summer official runs from 21st June to 21st September so a 3 month delay could still be ‘on schedule’.

    I wonder what the problem is?

    Reply
  4. davpol says:
    10 years ago

    Considering the amount of testing required to obtain a safety certificate to operate this ‘attraction’ it would seem highly unlikely that it will up and running this summer. Are there perhaps problems with it we have not been told about? Personally i would be delighted if its maiden’flight’ resulted in the whole sorry structure toppling seawards and demolishing the rusting remnants of the west pier thereby ridding us of both eyesores in one foul swoop!!!

    Reply
  5. Martin says:
    10 years ago

    Fell swoop.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

i360 still on track for summer opening as test flights delayed

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
May 2016
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News