Church to commission independent review of Bishop George Bell sex abuse case

Posted On 28 Jun 2016 at 11:30 am

The Church of England is to commission an independent review of the handling of sex abuse claims made against the former Bishop of Chichester George Bell.

The church settled a case last year with a woman who said that the bishop abused her when she was a child.

The accompanying apology prompted criticism that the case was unfair because the bishop was not alive to defend himself and his reputation.

The Diocese of Chichester, which has its head office in Church Road, Hove, said this morning (Tuesday 28 June): “An independent review of the processes used in the George Bell case has been announced today in accordance with the House of Bishops guidance on all complex cases.

“The House of Bishops practice guidance states that once all matters relating to any serious safeguarding situation have been completed, the core group should meet again to review the process and to consider what lessons can be learned for the handling of future serious safeguarding situations.

The former Bishop of Chichester George Bell

The former Bishop of Chichester George Bell

“A review has always been carried out in any case involving allegations against a bishop.

“The review will be commissioned by the Church of England’s National Safeguarding Team, on the recommendation of the Bishop of Chichester, to see what lessons can be learnt from how the case was handled.

“The case involves the settlement in 2015 of a legal civil claim regarding sexual abuse against George Bell, who was Bishop of Chichester from 1929 to 1958.

“The church has always recognised Bishop Bell’s principled stand in the Second World War and his contribution to peace but it also has a duty to listen to survivors.

“The Diocese of Chichester continues to be in touch and offer support to the survivor known as Carol, who brought the allegations in this case.

“The review will look at the processes surrounding the allegations which were first brought in 1995 to the Diocese of Chichester with the same allegations brought again, this time to Lambeth Palace, in 2013.

The Bishop of Chichester Martin Warner

The Bishop of Chichester Martin Warner

“It will also consider the processes, including the commissioning of expert independent reports and archival and other investigations, which were used to inform the decision to settle the case.

“The settlement was based on the balance of probabilities as criminal proceedings cannot be brought in a case where the alleged perpetrator is dead.

“Details of the review including terms of reference and name of the independent reviewer will be announced at a later date.”

The Bishop of Chichester Martin Warner said: “As in any serious safeguarding situation it is always important to learn lessons from the process and this review will ensure this is done.

“I have, however, made it absolutely clear that the survivor in the case be reassured that we will do everything we can to continue to support her as we have done throughout this process.

“I hope that the review will provide a constructive way forward for all concerned.

“Along with my colleagues in the wider church, I am committed to ensuring that the past is handled with honesty.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.