Brighton & Hove Albion’s top 5 refereeing appointments

Posted On 09 Jul 2016 at 11:02 am

As English referee Mark Clattenburg prepares to take charge of the Euro 2016 final tomorrow (Sunday 10 July), Tim Hodges takes a look at the high-profile refs who have taken charge of Albion matches over the years.

1) 2010 World Cup final referee Howard Webb took charge of the Seagulls’ 5th round FA Cup tie away at Stoke City in 2011. The Seagulls lost 3-0.

2) Mark Clattenberg officiated at the Amex in the ill-fated 2nd leg play-off semi-final against Crystal Palace in May 2013. Clattenberg waved away Albion penalty appeals in the second half.

3) Keith Hackett, a well-known FIFA referee in the 1980s and 90s, only ever visited Brighton and Hove once. The Sheffield official took charge of Albion’s 2nd leg play-off semi-final against Millwall at the Goldstone on a Sunday lunchtime in May 1991. Hackett was heard to remark how much he and his wife had enjoyed the weekend at the seaside. Albion won 4-1.

4) Clive Thomas, probably one of the most controversial referees in the world, was the man in the middle for Albion’s penultimate top flight home match in April 1983 against Everton. Not to disappoint, Thomas made Albion retake the kick off after adjudging the ball did not roll forward an entire revolution as Tony Grealish tapped it to Micheal Robinson.

5) David Elleray was relatively unknown when he took charge of Albion’s play-off final against Notts County at Wembley in June 1991. The writing was on the wall for Albion early on, as Gary Chivers would later recall, when after the ball bounced off Dave Regis. Elleray, a Harrow schoolmaster, gave County a corner. He told Chivers that if he hadn’t given a corner, he would have to give a penalty! Albion lost 3-1 then almost collapsed into oblivion over the next seven years. Due to his location, the Seagulls were often lumbered with Mr Elleray. His final visit was to Withdean in October 2000 when against Hartlepool a huge hole appeared at the edge of the pitch due to drainage problems. Allowing play to continue, Elleray adjudged that Albion keeper Michel Kuipers had carried the ball over the goal line when catching a cross. The huge former Dutch Marine and the slightly built public school teacher remonstrated for over a minute. Elleray produced his winning weapon – the yellow card. The goal stood although Albion won 4-2.

  1. Dave Morgan Reply

    Funniest reffing decision was way back at the Golstone ground when the ref missed a foul and right in front of me the linesman produced a whistle and gave it a good blow the ref responded by asking the club to warn off the phantom whistle blower in the crowd, ha ha so funny

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.