• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton road sealed off after artillery shell found

by Jo Wadsworth
Sunday 11 Sep, 2016 at 5:35PM
A A
1
Brighton road sealed off after artillery shell found

A Brighton road was cordoned off and residents evacuated after a suspicious item was found at a flat there this afternoon (Sunday 11 September).

Donald Hall Road in Whitehawk was evacuated earlier this afternoon after the occupant of a flat in the Calendula block found an artillery shell.

donald-hall-road-by-jess-aimee-warren

A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called to a flat in Donald Hall Road, Brighton, in regard to a suspicious item found by the occupier.

“Police are co-ordinating efforts with the fire brigade and Brighton and Hove City Council to evacuate residents in the vicinity of the affected flat so that the article can be dealt with.

“Cordons are in place for public safety and all agencies are grateful for the assistance of the public who are affected.”

It’s not yet known how many people are affected, but hundreds of people live in the Calendula block of flats. The community centre is open for anyone who needs somewhere to wait.

Newly elected ward councillor Lloyd Russell-Moyle tweeted: “Stay safe, follow police advice. Community room is open for people that need it. Situation being resolved as we type.”

The bomb disposal squad attended and left the scene at about 6.30pm.

@bhcitynews Army bomb squad have been and checked, all emergency services now leaving area. pic.twitter.com/DStLp9UtgE

— Oliver Button (@OBDroning) September 11, 2016

It was rumoured on the estate that the item was an unexploded Second World War shell which the owner found under his bed – and Sussex Police later confirmed that it was an artillery shell.

Bomb disposal experts assessed and removed the item and said that it was not a danger to the public.

Sussex Police were called shortly after 3pm and evacuated the premises in Donald Hall Road, Brighton, until they could rely on the expertise of the EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) specialists.

The force said: “EOD have attended the flat and assessed and removed the item which was identified by them as being an artillery shell.

“EOD removed the item without any further precautions. The item did not transpire to be a danger to the public.

“Evacuated persons have returned to their homes and cordons were removed at 6.10pm.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Whitehawk kid says:
    10 years ago

    Donald Hall Road isn’t in Whitehawk.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Brighton road sealed off after artillery shell found

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News