Fire chiefs are urging tumble dryer owners to pay heed to electrical safety advice after crews were called out to two incidents in just over 12 hours.
The advice follows a number of tumble dryer fires over the past few years and some product recalls by manufacturers.
At about 6.30am today (Tuesday 4 April) East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service sent two fire engines – one from Roedean and one from Preston Circus – to Longridge Avenue, Saltdean.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to put out the tumble dryer which was on fire.
At about 5.45pm yesterday (Monday 3 April) two fire engines from Preston Circus were sent to an address in Surrenden Road, Brighton. Smoke was coming from a tumble dryer.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet in this instance too and put in a high-powered fan to clear the smoke afterwards.
The fire service said: “Manufacturers occasionally recall products with potential safety problems. Sign up to alerts at www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls.”
Fire crews from Preston Circus and Roedean were called to a caravan alight in Old Shoreham Road, Hove, at just after 3.20am today.
Yesterday evening, just after 7pm, firefighters from Preston Circus and Hove were sent to deal with a crash in Preston Road, Brighton. No one was trapped but crews administered first aid.
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.