• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police donate cash to Christian charity after thieves target minister

by Frank le Duc
Monday 10 Apr, 2017 at 7:46PM
A A
0
Pickpockets steal £7.5k of charity money from church minister’s bag in Hove supermarket

A CCTV camera captured the moment when thieves stole thousands of pounds in US dollars from the Rev Lynda Hulcoop

Sussex Police has donated £500 to a Christian charity after thieves targeted a church minister on her way to deliver help to poor and disabled children.

The force handed over a cheque today (Monday 10 April) to the Reverend Lynda Hulcoop who had just changed £7,500 into US dollars when the thieves struck in January.

Miss Hulcooop, a minister at the Southwick Christian Community Church in Roman Crescent, Southwick, received the cheque on behalf of the Paraclete Christian Network International.

The church pastor was heading to Zimbabwe when the cash was stolen from her at the Sainsbury’s superstore in Old Shoreham Road, West Hove.

Two women followed her out of the shop and used sleight of hand to remove bundles of bank notes from the bag that she was carrying.

The money had been raised to help pay for education, food and medical aid and a youth music project in Zimbabwe.

A CCTV camera captured the moment when thieves stole thousands of pounds in US dollars from the Rev Lynda Hulcoop

After the theft the church group borrowed funds so that it could go ahead with the trip as planned.

Miss Hulcoop said: “I am extremely grateful to Sussex Police for their generosity and overall support throughout the investigation.

“Due to the police’s initial appeal for information following the theft we’ve had donations from people from all walks of life and managed to recuperate more than what was stolen. We are extremely thankful.”

The donation comes from the Police Property Act Fund which is made up of monies received by the police from property confiscated by order of the court and then sold.

Caroline McConnell, left, and the Reverend Lynda Hulcoop

Police Investigator Caroline McConnell said: “I am so pleased we were able to donate money to such a worthy cause and a hard-working group of people.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to renew our initial appeal and ask anyone who recognises either of the women in the CCTV image to contact police.”

Anyone with information can phone Sussex Police on 101 or contact the force online at https://sussex.police.uk/contact-us/response-to-appeal quoting serial 1054 of 23/01.

Alternatively people can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Police donate cash to Christian charity after thieves target minister

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
April 2017
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News