Kettle sparks kitchen fire in second floor flat in Hove

Posted On 12 Jun 2017 at 3:33 pm

A faulty kettle started a kitchen fire in a second floor flat in Hove yesterday morning (Sunday 11 June).

Three fire engines from Brighton and Hove were sent to the flat, in Ingram Crescent, Hove, just before 8am.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using one hose reel jet and one covering jet.

“The positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear smoke from the building.

“A fire investigation was carried out and the cause was found to be accidental due to a faulty kettle.”

Earlier a fire engine from Hove was sent to help West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service to tackle a fire at the recycling centre in Chartwell Road, Lancing.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 6.20pm yesterday Newhaven firefighters were sent to Roderick Avenue, in Peacehaven, where they tackled a rubbish bin fire using one hose reel jet.

“At 9.23pm yesterday Brighton firefighters were sent to Horton Road, in Brighton, due to reports of flooding.”

Crews investigated but no action was required and advice was given to the occupants and a home safety visit was carried out.

The fire service said that once again there were a number of false alarms including three in Brighton and Hove.

Two were in Hove – when a fire alarm went off in Brunswick Square because of a system fault and another alarm was set off by accident in Wilbury Road – yesterday afternoon.

And just after 6pm, the fire service said, “Brighton firefighters were sent to a property in Preston Park Avenue, in Brighton, which turned out to be a false alarm caused by fumes from cooking.”

Fire safety chiefs urged people to do all they could to prevent false alarms and warned that they could divert crews from a genuine emergency.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.