Hove man, 91, convicted of sex attacks

Posted On 12 Jul 2017 at 4:19 pm

A 91-year-old Hove man has been convicted of carrying out two sexual assaults on a girl under the age of 14 in the 1990s.

The sex attacks were said to have taken place in the car park of the Tesco in Station Road, Portslade.

Peter Cleaver, of New Church Road, Hove, was also found to have committed an act of gross indecency with her in Sherbourne Close, in Hangleton.

Cleaver was convicted after a trial of facts at Lewes Crown Court after a jury was told that he had been ruled unfit to plead because of poor health.

He knew the girl, the jury was told during the three-day hearing last week before Recorder William Featherby.

Cleaver sexually abused his victim between dates in April 1992 and April 1997, the court was told.

He was remanded on bail to return to court on Friday 15 September when a supervision order is due to be imposed.

After the trial, Detective Constable James Botting said: “Anyone who wishes to report similar offences, be they recent or non-recent, can always contact us by emailing 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk, reporting details online or calling 101 and arranging to talk in confidence to experienced investigators.

“When allegations are reported, police can also make an assessment of any safeguarding risks and take appropriate action where necessary.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.