• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Huge queues at Coldean bus stop after withdrawal of free university bus service

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 27 Sep, 2017 at 10:26AM
A A
6
Huge queues at Coldean bus stop after withdrawal of free university bus service

The withdrawal of the free university bus service between Varley Park and Falmer has caused massive queues on regular bus routes this week.

Long-term Coldean resident and postgrad student Kati-Marian McDonell took this picture of scores of people queueing to get on the 24 bus in Coldean Lane on Monday.

Problems have also been reported at Falmer Station in the afternoon as students travel the other way.

Students living in the Varley Park halls off Coldean Lane previously had a free shuttle to Falmer, operated by the Big Lemon – but this year, it has been replaced by a Compass Bus service which charges £1 per journey. Another free shuttle between Falmer and the Old Steine has been withdrawn altogether.

Ms McDonell, 44, said: “The bus left full after waiting for a long time for everyone (including Coldean parents with buggies to board). So it was late to leave, and still over 50 people were left standing with more coming.

“The shuttle bus also operated at night, so now relations between students and residents are tested as they now use 24 bus to get home.

“The 24 is still only three an hour and seems irregular or cancelled at the best of times.

“I am a postgrad student and a local resident who has to get to work and uni, so I get the impact on both sides.

“I am 44, I have a bad back. The weight of rucksacs full of books and tech equip isn’t good to walk with for 40mins. The Falmer walk is through or by the woods in the dark. I would not feel happy with my 20-25yr old son or daughter doing that walk.

“Winter is coming. students have kids, some are disabled. The Compass bus is asking for an extra tenner a week on top of £15 needed for Brighton and Hove travel. Most students have under £40 a week after rent and bills.”

A University of Brighton spokesman said an extra bus would be provided for the next couple of weeks to alleviate overcrowding.

He added: “It is not unusual for there to be large queues at local bus stops at the start of the academic year. We have been monitoring things closely and as a result we will be providing an additional bus service between our three Brighton campuses for the next couple of weeks to help to alleviate overcrowding.

“We will continue to monitor the situation.”

A spokeswoman for Brighton and Hove Buses said that the company would also be keeping an eye on the situation, but pointed out that more buses were being put on the 23 and 25 routes.

Both of these serve Falmer and can be caught from a stop on the Lewes Road a 15-minute walk away from Varley Park.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. S.J. says:
    9 years ago

    Are all students still whining little snowflakes now? I have missed so much University in my first week because of the appalling busses. Doesn’t matter what time of day you try and get on at Coldean Lane, it is always rammed.

    Reply
    • Vinegar Tom says:
      9 years ago

      Yes, you are all still whining snowflakes. Walk or cycle, just like grown-ups do. Or spend less money on alcohol and share a taxi.

      That’s what adults would do…

      Reply
      • Annoyed Student says:
        9 years ago

        I’m an adult, I don’t spend money on anything but the essentials (and the odd meal out maybe once a month) and I still wouldn’t be able to afford the split cost of a taxi, a train or bus fare. What am I supposed to do? It’s an hour walk to university and I certainly cannot afford a bike. I relied on the university taking a cut of my £9k a year to pay for the bus and now I’m facing the reality of having to get another job and giving myself less time to study just so I can afford to get to lectures and back safely.

        Reply
  2. J.H. says:
    9 years ago

    Sonowflakes or not at least they know how to spell ‘buses’.

    Reply
  3. E.T says:
    9 years ago

    Do ‘grown ups’ walk or cycle really?? So all the single pasengers sitting in their cars on the commute are a figment of my imagination – or how about all those ‘grown ups’ parking illegally outside schools every morning because they cannot be bothered to walk for more than 2 minutes, and so what if they endanger small people and mums with buggy’s crossing the roads? There are more selfish commuters than ever before and these are your so called ‘grown ups’.

    Reply
  4. Pingback: STUDENT VOICE: Save The Big Lemon! - The Verse

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge queues at Coldean bus stop after withdrawal of free university bus service

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2017
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News