• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Planners back scheme for Hove pub to be demolished and replaced with 33 homes

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 12 Oct, 2017 at 12:46AM
A A
1
Derelict Hove pub to be demolished for 33 new homes

Planning permission has been granted for a Hove pub to be demolished and replaced with 33 homes, including a four-storey block of flats.

The Downsman in Hangleton Way could be pulled down next spring or summer for work to start on two terraces of houses and a block of 23 flats.

The two terraces of two-storey houses will include four two-bedroom homes and six with three bedrooms.

The flats will be in a four-storey block, including a couple of penthouse flats on the top two floors.

If all goes well, people could start moving in to the new homes in about two years’ time.

Plans for the housing – and an area set aside for community use – were discussed by Brighton and Hove City Council planners at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Wednesday 11 October).

The council’s Planning Committee voted unanimously in favour of the scheme which is conditional on the applicants agreeing to pay financial contributions totalling just over £200,000.

The applicants were listed as the Southern Housing Group, Southern Housing executive Colin Thomas, Perth Securities and Perth director John Bacon.

The developers’ contribution would be go towards open space and recreation, local schools, an employment scheme, sustainable transport and “an artistic component” to be “commissioned and installed on the property”.

The pub, which has a distinctive green roof, shut for good three years ago and hoardings have fronted the site almost ever since.

The one-acre site includes the scruffy neighbouring field where horses were once kept.

Councillor Dan Yates said that, although he didn’t like to lose a pub, the scheme was a good solution for an area that needs housing more than it needs a pub.

And he praised the proportion of “affordable” housing – 40 per cent – which was in line with council policy.

An artist’s impression of the two terraces fronting Hangleton Way, on the Downsman site, with the proposed four-storey block of flats behind – Courtesy of Nicholas Dexter Studio / Yelo Architects

Councillor Julie Cattell, who chairs the Planning Committee, said that she was delighted that more housing had been approved.

Councillor Tony Janio, who represents Hangleton and Knoll Ward, which includes the site, said that it was “an excellent scheme” that included family housing and affordable homes.

He said that he hoped for some of the developers’ contribution towards local open spaces to be spent on the Dyke footpath and cycle track which runs along the old railway line.

It was a gateway to the Downs and he wanted it to be more attractive and welcoming.

After the meeting he said: “I’m delighted that we’re getting new homes – 40 per cent of them affordable – after all the patience and hard work of the developers, council officers and ward councillors.

“I’m also pleased that there will be some shared community space on the site although the detail is still to be finalised.”

An artist’s impression of part of the scheme to replace the Downsman pub with new homes in Hangleton Way, with the proposed four-storey block of flats behind – Courtesy of Nicholas Dexter Studio / Yelo Architects
Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. NIck says:
    9 years ago

    I don’t think this pub will ever be busy or successful again

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Planners back scheme for Hove pub to be demolished and replaced with 33 homes

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
October 2017
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News