• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton schools confirm places for ‘misplaced 38’

by Frank le Duc
Friday 6 Apr, 2018 at 4:16PM
A A
0
Political parties unite to resolve school places row over ‘the misplaced 38’

Two Brighton schools have confirmed that they can take a group of children from their catchment area who have become known as the “misplaced 38”.

The 38 youngsters live in the catchment area for Dorothy Stringer and Varndean schools and wanted to go there from September.

Instead, they were told that they would have to go elsewhere as the two popular secondary schools were full.

Now, after a campaign supported by all three political parties on Brighton and Hove City Council, money has been allocated to enable the two schools to take extra children.

Councillor Dan Chapman, who chairs the council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee, said: “I know that families want the option of a place at their catchment area school.

“This came across clearly during the recent consultations on school admissions undertaken by the council.

“With the proposed new secondary free school not now going ahead, we have more capital funding available for the city’s existing schools.

“We will be working with our schools to manage the citywide increase in secondary pupil numbers over the next few years.”

When the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee met last week, members called for extra places to be created at Dorothy Stringer to help accommodate the “misplaced 38”.

Stringer head teacher Richard Bradford said: “The school’s governing body have held the interests of the families in our catchment area in mind and have wanted clarity and stability throughout the long-running discussions about catchment areas.

“The school is already modifying its plans for this September and is working with council officers on the necessary changes to our infrastructure.”

The council said that it had always done its best to offer catchment area places to those who requested them but had never been able to guarantee them.

Next week the council would run its reallocation pool, giving places that have not been taken up at secondary schools across the area to families on waiting lists.

The council said: “The reallocation process uses the same admissions priorities as for the initial allocation back in March.

“So children living in a catchment area will have a higher priority than other children.

“It is anticipated that some of the ‘misplaced 38’ families will be offered places at their catchment area schools through this process.

“For those ‘misplaced 38’ families who aren’t offered places through the reallocation pool, the council will ensure that they are offered places at either Dorothy Stringer or Varndean through a separate process.

“An urgent meeting of the Children, Young People and Skills Committee will also be held to review how the council will use the £15 million that had been earmarked for the new school, including further enhancements to both Varndean and Dorothy Stringer schools.

“A date for this meeting will be agreed as soon as possible.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton schools confirm places for ‘misplaced 38’

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News