• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – The scientific evidence is conclusive, jury told

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 4 Dec, 2018 at 4:01PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

The scientific evidence in the Babes in the Wood double murder trial is conclusive, the jury was told this afternoon (Tuesday 4 December).

Brian Altman, prosecuting, said that expert witnesses had ruled out the prospect of contamination, undermining the case on behalf of the defendant Russell Bishop

Bishop, 52, formerly of Stephens Road, Hollingdean, is on trial – for a second time – for the murder of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway in Wild Park, Moulsecoomb, in October 1986. He denies both charges.

But Bishop, who was 20 at the time of the murders, had not called any expert witnesses with a plausible alternative explanation to the scientific evidence in the prosecution case.

Mr Altman said “inadvertent transfer is not a sensible explanation for the scientific findings” linking the 52-year-old former roofer to the murder of two nine-year-old girls in a Brighton park.

The prosecution relied on advances in DNA evidence – which was in its infancy in 1986 – as well as fibres, paint and hairs.

Mr Altman said: “It’s just too much and it’s too multi-layered and too multi-dimensional.”

And he added that the original tapings from the bodies – checking for fibres and hairs – were locked in a moment in time.

The former roofer stayed away as his trial entered what is expected to be its final week at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London.

The jury was reminded that he had been convicted and jailed in 1990 – three years after his acquittal in 1987 – for the kidnap, sexual assault and attempted murder of a seven-year-old girl.

There were similar features in both cases, including in the way that Bishop, who was “forensically aware”, disposed of certain items of clothing.

But much of the forensic evidence in the 1986 case centred on a Pinto sweatshirt – and Mr Altman said: “There is ample evidence that the Pinto was his and that he wore it when he was attacking the girls.”

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

Mr Altman also said: “We can be confident in the reliability of the scientific evidence on which the prosecution relies upon.

“There was no possibility that the totality of these findings could be the result of inadvertent transfer.

“Even if one part were undermined there remains a vast amount of evidence scientifically proving the link between the Pinto, the defendant and his home environment, and the girls and their clothing.

“The scientific evidence has not been challenged. It has not been disputed. It has not been suggested that any scientist has got it wrong.

“You have not seen a scientist – instructed on behalf of the defence – go into the witness box to say we’ve got things wrong. That was open to them but it’s not happened.”

The prosecution had taken a cautious approach to the scientific evidence, Mr Altman said, but it was clear that the Pinto had been worn by the defendant.

And he said: “The fibre findings provided strong evidence that the Pinto had been worn in his home.”

The blue Pinto sweatshirt allegedly worn by Russell Bishop

Fibre and paint findings indicated recent contact between the Pinto and Nicola and recent contact between the Pinto and Karen.

In addition, “advanced statistical analysis” provided “extremely strong support” for the likelihood that the DNA mixture from Karen’s forearm came from the defendant and not from anyone else.

This is what we might expect, Mr Altman said, if the Bishop had been in close contact with Karen or Nicola at or around the time of their deaths.

Mr Altman added: “If Russell Bishop was to put forward an alternative explanation for these findings, I would be able to evaluate it (but) no such alternative had been provided.”

He said to the jury: “When you consider the combination of the scientific findings and the science alone then I invite you to conclude that not only was the Pinto worn by the defendant but it was worn by him when he killed those two little girls.

“But I must ask you not to forget all the other non-scientific evidence in the case.”

Russell Bishop

Bishop had told various people that he feared that he would be a prime suspect.

He said that this was because he had previously been arrested on suspicion of carrying out the Grand hotel bombing in October 1984 – and because his father had been arrested on suspicion of the October 1978 murder of 36-year-old Margaret Frame which is still unsolved.

“By 1986,” Mr Altman said: “he was no stranger to the criminal justice system. He had convictions for theft and burglary.”

But he didn’t help his chances, Mr Altman said, by embellishing his story, changing his version of events and telling a series of lies.

He told the police in an interview, for example, that he went to buy cannabis from Angie Cutting at her home in Ringmer Road, Moulsecoomb.

But she lived in Newick Road – the same street as the murder victims Nicky Fellows and Karen Hadaway.

Bishop denies two counts of murder.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – The scientific evidence is conclusive, jury told

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News