• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Heritage Lottery Fund turns down council bid for Madeira Terraces revamp

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 18 Dec, 2018 at 5:06PM
A A
1
New Madeira Terrace supports to be placed either side of Concorde2

The fenced off Madeira Terraces - Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

The Heritage Lottery Fund has turned down a bid by Brighton and Hove City Council for money towards the cost of the restoration of the Madeira Terraces on the seafront.

A previous bid for £4.2 million was turned down in the summer but another fundraising raffle is being organised by local campaigner Jax Atkins while the council considers a third bid for lottery cash.

The council said: “Our second bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to support the Madeira Terrace restoration has been unsuccessful.

“The HLF said there was nothing wrong with our bid but they simply don’t have enough funding for all the projects that applied.”

Council leader Daniel Yates, leader of the council said: “While this is disappointing, we remain positive about future funding for the Madeira Terrace.”

Councillor Yates said: “Last year’s crowdfunding campaign expressed the public’s desire to restore the Madeira Terrace to their former glory and we will continue to work hard to achieve this.

“Even without this funding, we are still going to restore the crowdfunded three arches and explore all avenues of funding to secure the future of the historic terraces.”

The council said that other local heritage projects had received a substantial share of lottery money over the years including
• £4.99 million for the Royal Pavilion Estate
• £4.7 million for the Saltdean Lido
• £3.7 million for the Stanmer Park restoration project
• £1.65 million for Volk’s Railway

It added: “We are continuing to work on the first three crowdfunded arches – at the western end of the terrace. We’re working towards an on-site start date of spring 2019.

“At the start of January 2019, we will be opening an office and community hub in a shipping container in Madeira Drive.

“This space will help raise awareness of the restoration project and offer a base to raise funds during events.

“We will continue to seek heritage funding and other types of funding. We are also considering submitting another bid for HLF funding in March 2019.

“The conservation deficit for restoring 60 arches is estimated at £4.8 million. A conservation deficit occurs when the existing value of a heritage asset plus the cost of bringing it back into use is greater than the value of the asset after development has been completed.

The fnced off Madeira Terraces – Picture by Jax Atkins

“The HLF is the largest funder of heritage assets in the UK and so it is important we focus our efforts on gaining their support to protect and restore the terrace at the earliest opportunity.

“Their support would provide a strong basis on which to secure the structure and to drive restoration more rapidly.

“Two raffles, organised by local campaigner Jax Atkins, have raised over £26,000. Jax is now collecting prizes for another raffle in 2019.

“Raffle tickets will be available from spring 2019. If you’d like to donate a prize, please contact Jax on chemicaljax@ntlworld.com.”

The council said: “There are several ways you can get involved in supporting the restoration campaign.”

These included
• Buying Madeira Terrace branded mugs and reusable coffee cups – perfect for Christmas gifts.
• Joining volunteers at the monthly community clean-ups
• Donating to the Madeira Terrace restoration fund

The council added: “If you have any fundraising ideas, please get in touch at madeira.terrace@brighton-hove.gov.uk.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Derek John Wright says:
    8 years ago

    Join us at Madeira Terrace & Black Rock Past Present & Future https://www.facebook.com/groups/1477951252527679/and
    Save Madeira Terraces Raffle Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/123426644980311/
    both on Facebook or e mail chemicaljax@ntlworld.com
    Next fund raising event is Bric a brac Market on the Seafront get in touch if you have any to donate chemicaljax@ntlworld.com or want to know more or can organise a fund raise event near you

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Heritage Lottery Fund turns down council bid for Madeira Terraces revamp

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News