• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Trains back on track to take Brighton fans to Wembley

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 20 Mar, 2019 at 1:07PM
A A
0
Trains back on track to take Brighton fans to Wembley

Train bosses have postponed engineering work on the Brighton main line to make it easier for thousands of football fans to travel to Wembley to watch Brighton and Hove Albion in the FA Cup semi-finals.

Network Rail and Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) said today that they had been able to move the engineering work scheduled to take place on the main line on Saturday 6 April.

The date of the works clashed with Albion’s FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley so GTR and Network Rail said that they immediately held talks on ways to help fans travel.

Peter Kyle, the Labour MP for Hove, praised the track operator for heeding his call to halt its planned works between Three Bridges and Brighton.

Mr Kyle said: “I’m over the moon that Network Rail have agreed to postpone the rail shutdown so that Albion football fans can enjoy their day, without the hassle.

“This is a great moment for our city and it’s right that now fans can focus on supporting the team’s success.”

Paul Harwood, director of investment at Network Rail south east, said: “We congratulate the Seagulls on reaching the semi-finals.

“This match is incredibly important, not just to so many Brighton fans but also the wider Brighton economy, so we started planning to reschedule the work as soon as Brighton were through to the semi-finals.

“With the kick-off details confirmed yesterday afternoon we’re now pleased to announce our decision.

“Moving the work means we can accommodate the fans but also hold firm on our promise to complete our £67 million reliability upgrade to the Brighton main line.

“We will update passengers soon once we have confirmed a replacement date to complete the work before the summer.”

The work on Saturday 6 April will be rescheduled to another date yet to be confirmed.

However, the work planned for Sunday 7 April will continue as advertised with a rail replacement bus service in place for passengers.

Keith Jipps, GTR infrastructure director, said: “We wish the Seagulls the best of luck. By working with Network Rail to reschedule this essential work, fans will have a much easier journey from the south coast and back.”

George Hunt, the football club’s transport manager, said: “We’re delighted that we’ve been able to work with Network Rail and GTR to successfully reschedule the work to allow our fans to travel to Wembley on trains instead of replacement buses.

“We’ve worked really closely with Network Rail and GTR over the past two years and look forward to working together as we move forward.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Trains back on track to take Brighton fans to Wembley

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News