• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Two infant deaths in maternity department at Brighton hospital trust under investigation

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 27 Mar, 2019 at 7:15PM
A A
0
Two infant deaths in maternity department at Brighton hospital trust under investigation

Investigators are looking into the deaths of two babies who died during or shortly after birth in hospital last month.

But the external independent investigations could take up to nine months, hospital bosses were told today (Wednesday 27 March).

So Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust is carrying out its own review to find out whether lessons can be learnt more quickly.

The trust has maternity units at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, and the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH), in Haywards Heath.

A report to the trust board, meeting in Brighton today, set out details of “serious incidents requiring investigation”, also known as “SIRI”s or “SI”s.

The report said: “There were four serious incidents declared during the period December to February.

“Currently two of the SIs reported resulted in death. Both of these are in maternity and are being investigated by the Health Service Investigation Branch (HSIB).

“This process is new and this has led to some protracted timescales for investigations. The maternity teams are supporting the families during this period.”

Chief medical officer George Findlay said: “We are doing our own review for immediate learning.”

Dr Findlay added: “Because it’s taking up to nine months to report we feel we have lost the relationship with the families. They’ve been going through a bad time.

“That’s proved quite difficult to manage. You then have to reconcile that as many of these families have subsequent pregnancies and babies and they rely on us for that.”

About 260 babies a month – or more than 3,000 a year – are born at the Royal Sussex and almost 200 a month – or 2,400 a year – at the PRH.

Across the country more than 100 newborns die on average every month. In 2016 more than 1,300 babies who were born after 24 weeks died in their first 28 days of life.

Nicola Ranger

The trust’s chief nursing and patient safety officer Nicola Ranger said that the HSIB investigations were similar to those after air crashes.

She told the board that in the past year there were 11 investigations at the trust, with a similar number at the Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

Ms Ranger said that she had spoken to the chief maternity officer for England about internal reviews, saying that the trust wanted to make sure that they were as objective as possible.

She said: “Our relationship with the family changes, as that is with the HSIB. This has made it quite challenging in reality.

“We will still have to do our own internal review when something happens. If something needs to change, we need to get on to that straight away.

“Our concern with the process is it is taking a long time and putting us on the back foot.”

One of the trust’s non-executive directors, Malcolm Reed, was shocked to hear that it would take so long, for the sake of the families involved.

Professor Reed, who runs Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: “Nine months with no feedback? That is catastrophic.

“If people are wanting to consider another pregnancy within that six to nine-month period, you can’t do it until you have been told why this child died.”

Trust chief executive Dame Marianne Griffiths said that the trust had invited the national director of maternity services to talk to staff to find ways to move forward.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Two infant deaths in maternity department at Brighton hospital trust under investigation

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News