• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council cleaners abseil down Madeira Terraces

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 10 May, 2019 at 2:55PM
A A
3
Council cleaners abseil down Madeira Terraces


Abseiling cleaners have removed a huge pile of rubbish from a section of Madeira Terrace deemed too dangerous to access by foot.

The mid-level terrace has become a popular spot for rough sleepers who brave the crumbling structure but often leave behind drug paraphernalia, bedding and even supermarket trollies.

The Save the Madeira Terraces campaign previously held regular clean-ups with the support of Cityclean, who provided equipment.

However, since last year, two clean-ups have been cancelled and the group has now been denied all access on health and safety grounds following a new report by structural engineers – a decision it’s not happy with.

Last week, Brighton-based Sussex Rope Access were hired by the council to clear the rubbish which had accumulated in the meantime.

Rachel Chasseaud, the council’s assistant director of city environment, said: “Our structural engineers have told us that the mid-level of Madeira Terrace is very dangerous for people to walk on or have machinery on as it could collapse.

“We fenced the area off to make clear no one was allowed, so it was a real concern that rough sleepers had set up camp and then left piles of rubbish.

“Some people walking on Marina Parade above the terrace walkway had also tossed rubbish into the fenced off area. It was too dangerous for our staff to work on the walkway, so we called in Sussex Rope Access who are professionals in getting into difficult areas by abseiling.”

The specialist team removed the waste from the mid-level and transferred it to ground level where Cityclean staff waited with a truck to take the rubbish away. The process will now be repeated on an ‘as and when’ basis until the area can be made safe.

Rachel added: “Everyone has done a brilliant job and removed a lot of dangerous items like drug needles and other potentially harmful items.

“Committed volunteers had contacted us to say they were prepared to go in and remove the waste, but as a responsible local authority, we couldn’t allow any member of the public to put themselves in danger.”

However Jax Atkins, of the Save Madeira Terraces campaign, said she was still angry and frustrated that the regular clean-ups her group organised are now on hold, with the last two cancelled due to health and safety fears.

she said: “I was informed that the report from the engineers would be in and seen by 31 March but we have still not had an official response from it, only been told that new issues had been discovered by the engineers and the council would have to rewrite their health and safely guidance.

“We are in a state of limbo – there are so many people with normal common sense wanting to help but not being allowed to.

The area was fenced off years ago and there have always been people climbing over or around the fence to get in. There has always been drug paraphrenalia and we just go in with sharps boxes, grabbers, protective gloves and remove them easily & safely.

Why Cityclean says this is dangerous I can’t understand. We even have Pauline – a lady well into her 80s – who manages this with ease!

“We are also told that filthy mattresses and junk can’t be removed because it may belong to a homeless person. No-one is allowed in here because it’s so dangerous, yet the homeless or anyone else who wants to stay there are allowed to.

“When we started the clean-ups more than two years ago, Cityclean were so helpful with tools and safety equipment. This changed towards the end of last year when they began being very uncooperative and didn’t help us in any way.

“I can’t in a million years understand the reason to use abseilers to clean the middle terrace. I would like to ask how much Cityclean have paid them and how much this has taken of council tax money.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    7 years ago

    “Abseil down” is a tautology. It means to go down. The headline should be changed to “Council workers abseil etc.”

    A little light pedantry could bring the sun out on a grey Saturday morning.

    I shall have to alert Geoffrey Bowden and Bill Randall to this howler.

    Reply
    • Valerie says:
      7 years ago

      That should read: …’Abseil’ on its own means rope-assisted descent….

      Reply
  2. BrightonReader says:
    7 years ago

    She’s a self important busy body.

    She complains about the rubbish and then complains when the council does something about it.

    If it’s not safe to walk on the terrace level to pick the rubbish up then it’s just not safe. Being a volunteer does not make you immune from danger.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Council cleaners abseil down Madeira Terraces

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2019
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News