Man stabbed to death in Brighton flat this morning

Posted On 11 Sep 2019 at 9:36 am

A man was stabbed to death in a flat in Brighton this morning (Wednesday 11 September).

Police broke in and found him with serious wounds to his head and chest but were unable to save him.

The unnamed man, in his forties, was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, where he was pronounced dead.

Two men have been arrested and a murder investigation is under way.

Sussex Police said that they were not looking for anyone else but appealed for information.

One neighbour said: “It was really surreal – I know this is a cliché but you really don’t expect such drama in a fairly quiet, residential area like this, which I suppose is generally considered ‘safe’ among everyone who lives here.

“Seeing the road cordoned off as we all dropped our kids to school was rather strange to say the least.

“The main feeling today among residents though, from what I’ve gathered talking to friends and neighbours, is relief that the suspect was apprehended so quickly and that those involved apparently knew each other.

“Personally I was really impressed with the efficient way police dealt with a situation that could have escalated into something even more dramatic – they worked quickly without creating any panic.

“It’s really sad that someone lost their life a few doors down from where I live with my two small kids but, I guess, a reminder that we do live in a major city and these things can happen anywhere.”

Sussex Police said: “A murder investigation has been launched following the stabbing of a man in a flat in Brighton in the early hours of Wednesday morning (11 September).

The murder scene in Stafford Road in Brighton – Picture by Tim Hodges

“Police were called to the flat in Stafford Road at 1.58am after a report of a disturbance.

“Officers attended and forced entry to the premises where they found a man, believed to be in his forties, with serious chest and head injuries.

“He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead at 3.53am.

“As police entered the flat, two men escaped from the rear of the building and made off across gardens at the rear of Stafford Road.

“Both were detained in Exeter Street shortly after 2.30am.

“Cordons have been established around the scenes in Stafford Road and Exeter Street.

“Searches and forensic examinations at both locations are under way.

“A 44-year-old man, from Brighton, and a 45-year-old man, of no fixed address, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remained in custody on Wednesday morning.

“At this time, there are not thought to be any outstanding suspects.

“The victim has yet to be identified and police are appealing for anyone with information about him or the incident to report online or call 101 quoting Operation Barnfield.”

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.