• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Academy sponsor for Moulsecoomb Primary announced

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 23 Oct, 2019 at 10:39AM
A A
0
March for Moulsecoomb Primary stops traffic

Banners on the March for Moulsecoomb - Picture by Councillor Sarah Nield

Banners on the March for Moulsecoomb – Picture by Councillor Sarah Nield

The sponsor set to take on Moulsecoomb Primary as an academy has been announced as New Horizons Academy Trust.

Brighton and Hove City Council has expressed anger and disappointment that the government’s Regional Schools Commissioner has chosen a sponsor which it says has a poor track record.

New Horizons had to give up a previous school after more than half the teaching staff quit within a year of it taking charge.

In a recent ballot, 96% of parents and carers who took part said they were against their school becoming an academy – and all three unions representing staff at the school are currently balloting for strike action.

Councillor Kate Knight is vice chair of the council’s children, young people and skills committee, and also represents Moulsecoomb as a ward councillor. She said:

“I am furious, but not surprised, that the government is ignoring the wishes of the school’s parents, governors and dedicated staff in such a blatant way.

“They have decided to push ahead with their academy plan in the face of overwhelming cross-party local opposition.

“The result of our ballot couldn’t have been clearer – local people want their school to stay locally and democratically accountable.

“We have specific concerns about the academy trust the commissioner has chosen.

“NHAT has no track record of positive whole school improvement on this scale – quite the reverse, in fact.

“It has had two converter academies, one of which was later handed over, by the Regional Schools Commissioner, to another academy chain due to concerns about the management of the school.

“In fact, the sponsor’s track record within their one remaining school only appears to deliver average outcomes.

“Staff at the school have been working hard and successfully to improve performance at the school.

“Their Key Stage 2 results this summer in reading / writing / maths combined have gone up by nearly 30 percentage points compared to last year, and are the best in four years.

“I feel desperately sad for these staff, after all the excellent work they’ve put in to turn the school round. This is a real slap in the face for them.

“But I know that they absolutely have not given up and that they have the full support of the parents.

“This administration will continue to stand up for the school and the community and demand that their voices are heard

“We will be writing to the Regional Schools Commissioner and the Secretary of State for Education to once again call on them to respect the wishes of local people.

“We will be calling on them to stop forcing through changes that are not just unnecessary but also highly disruptive and damaging to pupils at the school.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Academy sponsor for Moulsecoomb Primary announced

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News