• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

All-year-round night shelter to open in Hove before Christmas

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Nov, 2019 at 10:26AM
A A
1
Generous Brightonians urged to give to homeless charities rather than rough sleepers

An all-year-round night shelter for the homeless is to open early next month, Brighton and Hove City Council said.

The night shelter will be run by YMCA DownsLink and the Churches Night Shelter Project and funded by the council.

It will be based at St Patrick’s Church in Cambridge Road, Hove, which has previously been used as a hostel for the homeless.

The council said: “Vulnerable people who’ve been rough sleeping will be brought in from the cold and offered help away from the streets this winter.

“YMCA DownsLink Group has many years’ experience of running supported accommodation services across the city.

“The venue will provide a short-term home for 29 single homeless people while they are helped towards more permanent arrangements.

“It will also run as a night shelter for up to 15 people with a range of support needs.

“There has been dedication and commitment behind the scenes to prepare for the new service. The challenge of finding a suitable building took much effort to resolve. The detailed day-to-day management arrangements are now agreed.”

The council’s Housing Committee approved the plans in September, with the budget having been agreed at the budget council meeting in February.

The council said: “People wishing to use the hostel or night shelter will only be able to access it after engaging with the city’s rough sleeper outreach service. It is not a drop-in service.

“YMCA DownsLink is now writing to people living near by to inform them of the plans for the new service.

“Local residents near the church will also be invited to visit St Patrick’s to meet key staff and hear about how the service will be run.”

The council’s lead member for rough sleeping, Councillor Nikkie Brennan, said: “We’ve brought in a lot of new support to help people to move off the streets but we are determined to do more.

“This good news is another step in the right direction and will bring hope to many people who will find the service a stepping stone to rebuilding their lives.

“We’re determined to provide support for those who are unfortunate enough to be homeless by giving them respect, dignity and help in their struggle to find a home.

“The homeless of Brighton and Hove are our citizens and our neighbours and everyone should have a right to a home.”

YMCA DownsLink Group chief executive Chas Walker said: “YMCA DownsLink Group has provided social housing and charitable services in Brighton and Hove for a hundred years. We have strong partnership links to the wider homelessness sector.

“St Patrick’s has an important history in the city for supporting single homeless people. Our hope is that the YMCA and the Churches Night Shelter Project can write a new chapter of the story for St Patrick’s supporting the most marginalised in our community.”

St Patrick’s was the site of a hostel run under different management that closed in summer 2019.

A night shelter at the site closed many years ago.

Existing planning permission for the building to be used in this way continues to apply for the new service.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Rolivan says:
    6 years ago

    What happens to those that refuse help?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

All-year-round night shelter to open in Hove before Christmas

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News