• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

‘Urgent’ cries of baby heard on stormy night on South Downs, jurors told

by Emily Pennink - PA Old Bailey correspondent
Monday 5 Feb, 2024 at 4:51PM
A A
0
Missing pair arrested in Brighton but baby still not found

Mark Gordon and Constance Marten

The “high pitched” cries of a baby were heard during a stormy night on the South Downs at about the time a fugitive couple were allegedly living off grid with their newborn daughter, a court has heard.

Wealthy aristocrat Constance Marten, 36, and Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey accused of the manslaughter of their daughter Victoria.

It is alleged the couple travelled across England in taxis and lived in a tent on the South Downs in a bid to keep the baby, after four other children were taken into care.

They were arrested in East Sussex last February 27 and, days later, Victoria’s body was found in a Lidl supermarket bag covered in rubbish in a disused shed.

On Monday, Seaford resident Sarah Hidden said she heard a baby crying in the middle of the night on two consecutive nights last January.

Days later, she was out walking her dog on a coastal path when she thought she saw the fugitive couple she had seen on the news.

Giving evidence by video link, Mrs Hidden said: “A couple of nights before I saw the couple there was the sound of a baby crying. I was asleep but the crying woke me up.”

She said it seemed to be moving from the direction of a golf course on the South Downs and was “continuous” for about 30 to 40 minutes.

On the first night it happened there was a storm and the weather was windy and rainy, she said.

She told jurors: “I know people take babies out to get them to sleep but I don’t think they would do it in a storm.”

The next night she allegedly heard a baby crying again and it was also raining.

Mrs Hidden said: “It was definitely a young baby crying.

“It’s a different sound to an older baby crying, more constant, a bit more high pitched, urgent sounding.”

Mrs Hidden told jurors that she saw the couple on a coastal path some time between last January 16 and 27, when she took her dog for a walk.

She moved to the side to let a big group of ramblers through, then “bumped into a couple”.

She said it was “strange”, adding: “They could only have appeared out of the bushes further up.

“They were walking alongside each other but they were not talking or looking at each other, but they were together.”

The man was not carrying anything while the woman “seemed laden down with things”, including bags and something on her shoulder, Mrs Hidden said.

“My instinct was it was a small baby, but I did not see a baby. I do not remember seeing a head or legs. It was the position you would hold one but it could have been another bag,” she said.

Mrs Hidden told jurors she thought they were the missing people she had seen on the news and did a “double take”.

At the time, she thought they were in the north of England and only later decided to contact police after learning there had been sightings in Newhaven in East Sussex.

Mrs Hidden told jurors the woman “did not look happy” or as if she was part of the rambler group.

She said: “She looked really depressed and worn in on herself and down.”

On what she thought the woman was doing, the witness said: “My immediate instinct was she was holding a baby, it was the way I would hold a baby. I cannot say that was what she was holding because I did not see a baby.”

Prosecutor Tom Little KC asked: “At about this time, when you were on one of your walks with your dog or otherwise, did you see anything else in this area?”

Mrs Hidden replied: “Yes, I saw a tent twice, two different times in two different places. The first time it was in the bushes, the second time was along the Cuckmere river, just off a path.”

Last week, Pauline Mason told jurors that she had seen a man with a woman carrying a lifeless baby in a sling in Stanmer Park in Brighton on February 19.

Mrs Mason, who had been in a mobility scooter, had described the baby being very pale with her head “wobbling”, “floppy” and “unsteady”.

On Monday, her husband of 55 years told jurors that she had insisted on telling police about the alleged sighting because she had failed to make a report about the Babes in the Wood murders of two girls in Brighton years before.

Michael Mason said his wife had reminded him about seeing a tent during their outing to Stanmer Park.

The retired prison officer told jurors that he made an online report to police last March 1 at his wife’s request.

He told jurors: “You might cast your mind back to the Babes in the Wood murders. She was convinced she saw you-know-who and the two young girls.

“She saw them and she did not report it. If she had reported it, it might have gone differently.

“This time, she said we must report it. I did report as I remembered it and as she told me.”

He added: “To be honest, my wife was more observant than me because she is a keen photographer and I think women are more observant than the average man, I might be wrong there.”

Under cross-examination, Mr Mason was asked why his wife had not taken pictures of what she had seen that day.

The witness said that as a member of a camera club, taking pictures of people close up was a “bit of a no-no”.

Jurors were shown CCTV footage allegedly showing Marten buying snacks at a Texaco petrol station last January 12.

The court heard that it was among thousands of hours of footage collected by police during the investigation.

The defendants, of no fixed address, deny manslaughter by gross negligence between January 4 and February 27 last year.

They are also charged with perverting the course of justice, concealing the birth of a child, child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of a child.

The Old Bailey trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

‘Urgent’ cries of baby heard on stormy night on South Downs, jurors told

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
February 2024
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
26272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News