• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Constance Marten was a ‘lioness’ who loved her ‘cubs’, court told

by Emily Pennink - PA Old Bailey correspondent
Tuesday 16 Apr, 2024 at 5:23PM
A A
0
Constance Marten feels responsible over death of baby Victoria, court told

Constance Marten at an earlier Old Bailey hearing - Court sketch by Elizabeth Cook / PA

A wealthy aristocrat accused of killing her newborn baby while on the run from authorities has been described in court as a “lioness” who loved her “cubs”.

Constance Marten, 36, and her partner Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey over the death of their daughter Victoria.

Jurors have heard how Marten gave birth in secret and lived off-grid in a tent on the South Downs to evade authorities after their other four children were taken into care.

Marten has claimed her daughter died by accident when she fell asleep holding the child under her jacket in the tent.

The prosecution allege Victoria was exposed to cold wintry conditions with only a babygrow and vest to wear.

In his closing speech, Gordon’s barrister John Femi-Ola KC disputed the way the prosecution had cast the defendants.

He told jurors: “In opening this case, she and her partner Mark Gordon were described as callous and cruel.

“That woman you saw in the witness box over a number of days, ask yourself in all honesty, is callous the first image that comes into your mind?

“The name Constance is rooted in Latin. Constania, it means steadfastness, resolute, faithful, loyal, dedicated and perseverance no matter the obstacle.”

Mr Femi-Ola suggested that while giving evidence she had been “posh but polite, calm and intelligent”.

He said: “You may think she was resolute. You may think her deep, deep love for her children overflowed.

“She is not a person to be pushed around by any man, partner or barrister. She has a strong mind of her own.

“You may think that she is a lioness, talking about her children like her cubs. She loved them.”

Mr Femi-Ola said co-sleeping did not amount to neglect, pointing out 149,000 babies sleep with their parents every night in the UK.

On how Victoria died, he said: “It was a tragic accident and one can only imagine the sheer terror they must have felt when their beautiful daughter passed.”

Mr Femi-Ola reminded jurors how the “unlikely couple” had met in a shop in Tottenham, north London, before travelling together in Latin America.

He said her family “did not approve” and were even “embarrassed” that she had children with Gordon.

Mr Femi-Ola pointed out evidence Marten’s mother had engaged a private detective for two weeks in 2016 and her father had used a private detective between 2017 and 2021.

He added: “In December 2019, legal proceedings were commenced in relation to the children with an application for wardship by Constance Marten’s father.”

He said it was a matter for the jury to consider why, when the defendant’s car exploded on the M61 last January, 34 “burner” phones were recovered.

“They fled in haste, they fled in fear and they fled in terror. Why do I say that? Everything is left behind – about £2,000, a car, a cat. All left behind,” he said.

“Why, because Constance Marten told you they were going to take the baby away from her. They wanted to protect the baby, be with the baby.

“Look at what must be going through their minds. The key to it is the burner phones. This other child is going to be taken away so they fled, leaving all their possessions behind.”

Jurors have heard how the defendants abandoned their car after it burst into flames near Bolton, Greater Manchester, last January 5.

The defendants went on the run and were finally arrested in Brighton on February 27, two days before Victoria’s body was found in a disused allotment shed.

Earlier in his speech, prosecutor Tom Little KC accused Marten of being a “serial” liar and disputed her account of how Victoria died.

He said: “We suggest there is overwhelming evidence here of both exposure and neglect.

“How anyone could think it was appropriate to lay on their back with a baby under a coat zipped all the way up so they cannot see, in those cramped conditions where it was cold outside.”

He told jurors it was hard to think of a more dangerous place for a baby – in a cramped tent with tired parents.

Referring to the decision to take the defendants’ older children into care, he said: “Baby Victoria did not die as a result of an accident.

“Those four children were lawfully taken into care and what happened on the South Downs proved that judge right.”

The defendants, of no fixed address, deny manslaughter by gross negligence, perverting the course of justice, concealing the birth of a child, child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of a child.

The Old Bailey trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Constance Marten was a ‘lioness’ who loved her ‘cubs’, court told

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News