• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Shoreham air crash pilot applies to get flying licence back

by PA report
Wednesday 2 Oct, 2024 at 4:03PM
A A
13
Shoreham air crash pilot applies to get flying licence back

The pilot involved in the Shoreham Airshow disaster is appealing against the decision to revoke his flying licence.

Andrew Hill, 60, is appearing in front of a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) panel in London, according to a document published by the regulator.

Eleven men were killed when Mr Hill crashed into the A27 road while performing a manoeuvre at the Shoreham Airshow in West Sussex on August 22, 2015.

His licence was suspended by the CAA following the incident in a Hawker Hunter plane.

Mr Hill was charged with 11 counts of manslaughter by gross negligence but, after a trial, was found not guilty in March 2019.

West Sussex senior coroner Penelope Schofield ruled at an inquest in December 2022 that his significant errors and “poor” flying led to the 11 men being unlawfully killed.

Mr Hill is seeking the return of his full pilot’s licence.

The two-day hearing at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in London began on Wednesday.

A decision is expected to be published up to 10 days after the hearing ends.

When it emerged in December last year that Mr Hill wanted to fly again, Anthony Mallinson, whose father Graham, 72, was killed in the Shoreham disaster, told The Sun newspaper it was causing “stress and worry” for the victims’ loved ones.

He said: “We all, as a collaborative of families, feel extremely strongly that he never has his pilot’s licence reinstated out of respect for all of us, the families and all of our loved ones lost.

“He shouldn’t be anywhere near a cockpit.”

A CAA spokesperson said: “We cannot comment on an ongoing legal case.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 13

  1. Chris says:
    2 years ago

    Tricky one. He was found not guilty. The CAA report said that many things contributed to the accident. Distressing as it may be – car drivers that are guilty of causing death by driving are allowed to drive once their ban has ended.

    Reply
    • Where's the lamb sauce says:
      2 years ago

      Totally agree

      Reply
  2. Atticus says:
    2 years ago

    The coroner said that the 11 men who died were unlawfully killed. Given the scale of the tragedy I think this man must something of a narcissist to try to demand the return of his flying licence. He’s hardly in the flush of youth and it’s almost certainly time he hanged his wings up.

    Reply
    • Buster Minateshere. says:
      2 years ago

      The coroner was wrong on two counts, first, I am not aware that you can actually ‘kill’ someone lawfully therefore the wording ‘unlawfully’ is incorrect.
      Second, taking the word ‘unlawfully’ at face value and the meaning itself indicates an unlawful act or crime has been committed, in this case, he was found not guilty in a law of court.
      Drivers who are convicted of manslaughter receive bans and are able to get their driving licences back, this guy hasn’t been convicted of any crimes and is entitled to get his licence back, however, Pilots have to prove they are fit and proper to hold licence’s. I don’t think he is a fit and proper person, and I don’t think the CAA will allow him to fly.
      We’ll have to wait and see.

      Reply
      • Atticus says:
        2 years ago

        I prefer the opinion of the coroner. The term he used is a common verdict. Far more thought will have gone into it’s correct use than the musings that came to you in your brief consideration.

        Reply
        • Buster Minateshere. says:
          2 years ago

          Thank you for the feedback.
          I’m sure you do prefer the opinion of the coroner. She may well have used a common verdict but she was still wrong with the verdict.
          Interesting that you talk about the correct use, I think you will find a legal challenge on the wording has been filed.
          I have given this more thought than you obviously have.
          In court, witnesses were called and evidence presented to 12 individuals who made their decision based on those points of facts.
          No crime was committed therefore he can’t have done anything unlawfully, its a simple as that despite what our own thoughts and opinions are.

          Reply
    • Hoveperson says:
      2 years ago

      11 people were unlawfully killed, and this man should be keeping a low profile.

      Reply
  3. vintagefan says:
    2 years ago

    The gall of the man

    Reply
  4. Dave Cooper says:
    2 years ago

    How many people will he take out with him next time?
    He killed 11 people already – a mass murderer, legitimized by the aviation authority

    Reply
  5. Preston parker says:
    2 years ago

    The guy must be completely deluded.

    Can you imagine what his insurance policy would cost?

    Reply
  6. Drumzie D says:
    2 years ago

    He shouldn’t even have had the thought of getting his license back, clearly he doesn’t give a hoot about the family’s of all those he killed. It may have been a mistake, but you can’t bring back 11 people. He was one of the most experienced pilots in the country but out of respect this isn’t the right thing to do. Unbelievable.

    Reply
  7. Em says:
    2 years ago

    This should never happen and everyone with even a little sense, know this.

    Reply
  8. Tracy Turnblad says:
    2 years ago

    Gary Numan would be appalled. Let’s ask little Rachel Riley. She’ll know what’s what.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Shoreham air crash pilot applies to get flying licence back

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
October 2024
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News