• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council investigates claims about planning bribes after MP steps in

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 17 Mar, 2025 at 8:59PM
A A
6
Brighton MP makes maiden speech in debate on renters’ rights

Chris Ward

Claims that a landlord offered takeaway vouchers for positive comments on a planning application are under investigation.

Brighton and Hove City Council said that it was looking into the claims made in comments on its website in response to an application by WSE Property Services Ltd.

It is the second time that the company, owned by John Wright, 48, and Holly Wright, 49, has applied to turn the family home at 47 Eastbrook Road, Portslade, into a shared house.

The company has applied to turn the home into a five-bedroom house in multiple occupation (HMO) for up to six people.

A previous application made in March last year was withdrawn the following month.

The current application includes comments from people saying that they are WSE Property Services tenants who were offered takeaway vouchers in return for positive comments on the application.

The anonymous allegations were made on Brighton and Hove City Council’s website but, unlike many other councils, the name and address of those commenting is redacted, leaving the system open to abuse.

Two anonymous comments said: “As a current tenant of WSE Property Services Ltd, I have received direct communication from John Wright, the company’s director, encouraging myself and other tenants, who have no direct connection to this property, to submit supportive comments in exchange for takeaway vouchers.

“Evidence of this communication can be provided to the committee upon request.”

The Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven, Chris Ward, has asked the council to look into the application after receiving an email and screenshots from a concerned constituent.

The heavily redacted email to Mr Ward published on the council website said: “I urge you to address this matter promptly and robustly, ensuring that these practices are thoroughly investigated and halted.

“Maintaining the integrity of local governance processes is essential and actions like these must be decisively challenged.”

Labour councillor Liz Loughran, who chairs the council’s Planning Committee, said that the council expected people to respond to applications in good faith and took seriously claims of people trying to influence the process.

Councillor Loughran said: “While we do not go into detail on specific applications, we are aware of these accusations and are looking into them.

“Where we have significant concerns over the validity of comments, we remove them.

“We withhold the addresses of respondents to our applications in line with our data protection policies but anyone can comment on an application.

“We also do not ask what capacity someone is commenting as it is the issues raised which matter in planning terms, not who is raising them.

“It is important to remember that planning is not a referendum. Comments received as part of the application process, both for and against, are used as part of the wider comprehensive decision-making process.”

There are 43 objections to the Eastbrook Road proposal and nine comments in support on the council’s website.

An anonymous objector, whose details have also been redacted by the council, said: “This road is a nightmare to park on already and six more adults plus visitors (and) partners bringing vehicles to the road will make it even worse.

“Sewage strain on six adults living individually in a small house will be impactive on the already very sensitive and archaic infrastructure. Not to mention the level of waste and recycling produced and sitting in the street.”

An anonymous supporter said that the proposal was needed for students at the nearby Performers College, in North Street, Portslade.

The supporter, whose details were also redacted, said: “The vast majority of the students at the college are female.

“They are studying performing arts and they are in attendance five days a week, generally from 9am till 5pm each day, often later when working towards performances.

“With a lack of suitable accommodation in the area, they are forced to spend up to an hour on various forms of public transport getting to and from the college. It is these students who are in desperate need of this accommodation.”

Mr Wright and WSE Property Services were approached for comment.

To view or comment on the application, click here and search for BH2025/00230.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Ten lords a farking says:
    1 year ago

    What was the conclusion of this case? I never found out.
    https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2022/01/18/council-housing-boss-charged-with-fraud-and-corruption/

    Reply
    • For info says:
      1 year ago

      This might shed some light https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/13/sussex-police-widen-inquiry-into-brighton-hospital-deaths

      Reply
    • Daniel Harris says:
      1 year ago

      There was none… covered up…

      Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      1 year ago

      I believe it’s still technically ongoing, but is being held up because both defendants are seriously ill. This is the last report we ran – there have been subsequent hearings, dealing with legal argument relating to health issues. We have been keeping tabs on it.

      https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2022/02/24/brothers-in-court-charged-with-300k-homeless-housing-bribes/

      Reply
  2. Craig Smith says:
    1 year ago

    Wow £18million and BHCC well that’s not a small sum.

    I imagine a broom and carpet came into play.

    Reply
  3. MikeyMike says:
    1 year ago

    Perhaps a certain Council’s fondness for a certain city beach volleyball company and the CEO of Rockwater should also be looked into.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council investigates claims about planning bribes after MP steps in

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News