• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Row over future of Brighton doctors’ surgery goes before councillors

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 24 Sep, 2025 at 10:23AM
A A
12
Cold snap spurs NHS chiefs to urge people to protect their lungs

A wrangle over the future of a doctors’ surgery in Brighton is to examined by councillors at a special meeting this week.

NHS Sussex put the contract for the Wellsbourne surgery, in Whitehawk, out to tender and earlier this year announced an intention to award the contract to One Medical Group, a company based in Leeds.

The news prompted outrage among staff at the Wellsbourne practice, their patients and their many supporters across the area.

Much of this was driven by the way that the current team at the surgery – the Wellsbourne Healthcare Community Interest Company (CIC) – had stepped in when a previous contractor pulled out.

And it was further fuelled by the knowledge of the ways in which the current team has gone above and beyond merely fulfilling its contractual responsibilities to care for the patient population.

The CIC appealed against the NHS Sussex decision in March and made further representations in the months that followed.

It asked the Independent Patient Choice and Procurement Panel to consider the concerns that it had raised and the tendering process was paused.

The panel published its advice on Wednesday 23 July and that advice has been included in the papers going before Brighton and Hove City Council’s Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee on Friday (26 September).

The recommendation was that NHS Sussex, the integrated care board (ICB) for the county, go back to an early step in the process by publishing a new contract notice and invitation to tender (ITT).

NHS Sussex has also commissioned an external review.

The panel said that NHS Sussex had breached the rules governing the tendering process. It had conducted the evaluation and scoring process differently to the way that it had told the CIC and, as a result, did not act transparently and fairly.

The panel also found that NHS Sussex did not provide adequate information to enable the bidders to work out the financial aspects fairly.

Finally, the panel found that NHS Sussex, in its evaluation and scoring of Wellsbourne’s financial proposal, breached rules that require the ICB to keep a record of the reasons for its decisions.

The panel said: “The panel’s view is that Sussex ICB’s breaches of the PSR (Provider Selection Regime) regulations are sufficiently serious to have had a material effect on its selection of a provider.

“This is particularly the case in relation to the Sussex ICB’s provision of information about LCSs (locally commissioned services) in the provider selection process and its request for bidders’ estimated income from delivering LCSs.

“The panel’s advice to Sussex ICB is that it returns to an earlier step in the provider selection process, namely the publication of a new contract notice and issuance of ITT documentation suitably revised to address the issues identified by the panel in this review.

“This will allow a new provider selection process to take place that addresses all of the issues identified by the panel in this report.

“The panel also recommends that Sussex ICB ensures that, in future, sufficiently detailed notes are kept of moderation meeting discussions so that bidders, internal review panels and the panel can follow the reasoning of those involved in decision-making.”

The council’s Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 2pm on Friday (26 September). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 12

  1. Ann E Nicky says:
    11 months ago

    So we have Sussex NHS or the ICB failing to do basic tasks such as maintaining a level playing field for tendering, ensuring fair competition. Subsequently they have not even kept minutes of meetings or a written record of their decision making process. This has now generated more expense to the Public purse. Has anyone been held to account? This is the sort of failing that makes one despair. This situation has been created by someone not doing the job for which they were recruited and well paid for. Can we expect any repercussions? Don’t expect any answers.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      11 months ago

      The repercussions are procedural correction, Ann. Arguably, the most important repercussion.

      Reply
      • Ann E Nicky says:
        11 months ago

        The question is why are “procedural corrections” required? The most important repercussion is that someone did not or was incapable of doing their job properly. All this time they were drawing down a salary funded by the taxpayer and more time and money is spent dealing with their incompetence. What is the comeback for the Public purse? Might as well put a lingerie specialist in charge of PPE for COVID!

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          11 months ago

          How’d you know that it wasn’t a structural issue, oversight, or contested interpretation of process? Either way, that is a false analogy.

          Reply
          • Ann E Nicky says:
            11 months ago

            Well they are all public bodies this week should be informed. An “oversight” is a word for mistake. If it is a structural issue then whoever devised and implemented the system is culpable. It is not a “contested interpretation of process” simply because the outcome is damning and someone has been derelict in their duties. You often speak sense and are commendably reasonable on these forums but I fail to understand why you cannot attribute blame where it is due. It is this sort of prevarication and evasion that promulgates inefficiency and infuriates the general public. Is it little wonder that snake-oil salesmen are becoming dangerously popular in politics?

          • Benjamin says:
            11 months ago

            Ann, I’m not saying there should be no accountability. What I pushed back on was your framing, that this must be down to one person’s incompetence. That’s a strawman of what I actually said. Oversight, structural design, or unclear rules are all real possibilities here, and the regulator’s role is to correct those. If we only ever personalise failings, we risk ignoring how the system itself can (and should) be fixed.

  2. Benjamin says:
    11 months ago

    It was a good stay of execution, but we may still lose Wellsbourne to this process. There’s a debate to be had if there’s no issue, or in this case, a vast improvement, with the surgery as is – should it be subjected to a contract because an arbitrary amount of time has passed?

    Reply
    • Sherry says:
      11 months ago

      As a patient of Wellsbourne, I am terrified of having to see a Dr that is working for a private profit making company. How can you trust the recommendations they make when profit is involved? My experience with private dentists and vet is one of constantly upselling, referring on for further profit. How have we got this privatisation almost by stealth ……horrendous move

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        11 months ago

        Absolutely reasonable take to have, considering the circumstances. Put it this way, and hopefully it gives you a bit of comfort. Pharmacies work on the private model and have been for years, and in my experience, they constantly fight back against corporate to ensure that what they do is for the patient, not the bottom line.

        GPs don’t have the mechanism for upselling, really in the same way. Medicine prices are strictly controlled via the BNF, so there’s no price gouging. Their KPIs tend to be focused on seeing people as quickly as possible, and reducing the amount they prescribe, and this time of year, getting as many payments from flu jabs as possible – which…the financial incentive also fits what we would like to see to protect the health of society anyway, so aligns well.

        A for-profit would likely target efficiencies, reducing how long you see a doctor, hiring cheaper staff, reducing opening hours, and cutting back on extra bits like community-based work. The actual healthcare delivered, though? I think doctors become doctors for a reason, even if a corporation makes it difficult.

        Reply
  3. Craig Silver says:
    11 months ago

    Ann makes an excellent point.

    Ben – if private contractors are so efficient, can you please provide some background on the performance of One Medical Group to date as I understand they operate practices elsewhere in the UK? If you can confirm they have an exemplary record perhaps this may have influenced the decision of NHS Sussex, despite their lack of following the correct procedure.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      11 months ago

      On ensuring OMG maximise profits? They say it verbatim in their HMRC annual report, Craig, then back it up with the finances, also speaking in detail about they push efficiency.

      I think you are right that they would use this to argue their case. It’s a solid argument pragmatically speaking. But, in my opinion, a GP is not just a revolving door.

      Reply
  4. Benjamin says:
    11 months ago

    The procurement design and scoring are what make it harder for CICs to compete on equal terms, in my opinion, and certainly, an aspect should be explored. The loss of Healthwatch is felt deeply in tackling this issue.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Row over future of Brighton doctors’ surgery goes before councillors

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News