• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors make time to debate Floral Clock petition

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 15 Oct, 2025 at 7:01PM
A A
17
Hundreds sign petition to save Hove’s Floral Clock

Councillors called for the Floral Clock, in Hove, to be saved at a meeting last night (Monday 13 October) while others wanted it replaced with something new and different.

The debate was prompted by a petition, with 3,000 signatures, presented to Brighton and Hove City Council by campaigner Laura King.

She started the petition to object to proposals to scrap the Floral Clock and spend about £125,000 to revamp the surrounding northern end of Palmeira Square.

The meeting, at Hove Town Hall, was told that the 72-year-old centrepiece was created to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

But councillors were told that it hadn’t worked for many years and the council could no longer afford to mend and maintain the clock.

Ms King, from the Friends of Brighton and Hove Citizens’ Action Group, criticised the public consultation which ended last month, having attracted more than 1,100 responses.

She said: “The announcement of the Floral Clock’s demise came three weeks before the under-advertised public consultation was set to end.”

Hoardings went up around the top end of Palmeira Square two weeks before the consultation was due to end, Ms King said.

She added: “The consultation itself asked the leading question: ‘What would you like to see in the location of the current floral clock?’ All of which exposed the consultation as a pre-decided sham.”

She asked how the cost of restoring the clock could be £25,000 two years ago yet now it had become too expensive to restore.

And she compared the previous £25,000 estimate with the £125,000 that the council was willing to spend on revamping the area with Mediterranean planting, adding that Hove lacked a Mediterranean climate.

Given that the top end of Palmeira Square was fenced off, she asked where Hove’s Christmas tree and Hanukkah menorah would go this year and in future years.

Labour councillor Alan Robins, the council’s cabinet member for sports, recreation and libraries, said that the council was looking at what to do.

Councillor Robins said that it was not just about reinstalling the clock but also about maintaining it – and it had been out of action for 21 years.

He said: “The original design involved thousands of bedding plants being planted and then removed each year which isn’t in line with the more sustainable approach to our green spaces in place now.

“We are taking forward a consultation and will consider everyone’s views in deciding the options for the future – and we’ve set up a working group to co-ordinate this open space which will be used for many years to come.”

He said that whatever the council opted to do, it had to be affordable when it came to installation and maintenance.

Green councillor Ollie Sykes, who represents Brunswick and Adelaide ward, which includes Palmeira Square, paid tribute to the campaign and to the work of the Friends of Palmeira and Adelaide for their work.

He said that, alongside his fellow ward councillor, Labour councillor Andrei Czolak, “nothing was off the table” when it came to the area’s future.

Councillor Sykes said: “There’s lots of interesting other futures for that area which references the Floral Clock, references the coronation of our late Queen. But it might be done in a different way.

“One view put to me recently was a focus on quality. We should take the time to consult, maybe get architects on board, maybe a competition, to build a future for the clock.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald, a life-long resident of Brighton and Hove, asked whether proceeds from the community infrastructure levy (CIL) or other funding might be available for the clock.

She said: “We want the clock to be restored and the gardens to be an attractive feature of this very important part of Hove, surrounded as it is with fine listed buildings.”

Labour councillor Birgit Miller, the council’s cabinet member for culture, heritage and tourism, said that she was more inclined towards reinvention than replacement because maintaining the Floral Clock as it was is not how gardening is carried out these days.

Councillor Miller said: “It’s deeply environmentally unsustainable, growing thousands of plants, because they need to be annual bedding plants and they need a high degree of weeding.

“In 1973, 20 years after it (the clock) was founded, a member of the gardening team back then said Palmeira Square and the Floral Clock had its own team of five gardeners.

“That was a different time, a different way of gardening, with high use of pesticides.”

The council noted the petition.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 17

  1. JamesK says:
    10 months ago

    Given that any public petition over 1,250 regarding a city issue is supposed to TRIGGER a full council debate, this is an odd choice of headline. How convenient that the Middle East hullaballoo – on the very day of a peace deal – inside and outside made the perfect excuse to banish any Floral Clock supporters from the public gallery and kick the Clock Petition into the long grass by ‘noting’ it. The only individuals against the clock appeared to be a few Councillors. The Save the King Alfred and the Save Rottingdean Library campaigners receieved similarly dismissive treatment from the public servants in charge or protecting these public facilities, with their supporters unallowed in the public gallery. It was an embarrassment of a meeting which should be re-run, keeping international politics out of local council business.

    Reply
  2. Mike Beasley says:
    10 months ago

    Another sham consultation brought to you by those nice people at BHCC.
    And we expect better from Councillor Robins!

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      10 months ago

      You can’t just call things a sham just because you don’t agree with them, Mike; it just comes across a bit ranty. I know you’re capable of better articulation than that. You would have read my discussion with other people about consultations, and how they tend to hold expectations of comprehensiveness that are rarely aligned with the intention and how that causes a disparity, such as feeling it is a “sham”.

      Reply
      • Lynne Moore says:
        10 months ago

        It did appear that the Consultation was a sham because there was no choice on the consultation to save the floral clock, the fence had already gone up round the area before the consultation ended and from what was said by Council it appeared that decisions had already been made in consultation with Friends of Palmeira regarding planting (Mediterranean) and removing to floral clock altogether.

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          10 months ago

          And I think that’s an important naunce – that the consultation wasn’t about if it should be removed, but about what it should be replaced by. And I would agree with you that it was perhaps an important discussion to have. Potentially, was there a way to maintain it as is, or repair and sustain it?

          That perception is how opinions like Mike’s are formed.

          Reply
          • JamesK says:
            10 months ago

            In order to replace something, it is first necessary to dispose of what is there, so obviously the floral clock consultation was a scam. It is this ‘YourVoice’ gaslighting which will bring Labour down. We are all sick to death of these crude mind manipulation tactics to deflect attention from the latest awful thing the council intend to do to us. It’s getting so boring now. Yawn.

          • Benjamin says:
            10 months ago

            If the clock’s removal was already agreed as part of the garden’s redevelopment plan, the consultation focused on what replaces it, not whether to remove it. You may disagree with that approach, but that doesn’t make it a scam; it’s just a narrower scope than you expected.

            Articulating a point isn’t mind manipulation, James.

      • Mike Beasley says:
        10 months ago

        Boring Benjy , the Council apologist, takes his seat in Pseuds’ Corner

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          10 months ago

          I preferred Attack Poodle; that was far more amusing. Unfortunately, your insults are more bark than bite, and evidence a lack of substance. Shame.

          Reply
          • Mike Beasley says:
            10 months ago

            Even paranoids have enemies.

  3. Some Guy says:
    10 months ago

    The last part of the article is the one that clarifies everything. Obviously they’re not going to employ a team of five gardeners to keep up with Palmeira. There’s probably about five gardeners for the whole city. So then it becomes “would you gamble the repair costs of the clock on volunteers keeping up with the work” and the answer to that is “no.”

    The quote about “Mediterranean planting” misses the point. That style of gardening is a low maintenance choice. No extra water, hardy plants, minimalist design. It’s not climate-dependant in the least.

    Reply
    • Let's apply common sense says:
      10 months ago

      The quote of needing five gardeners along with 32,0000 bedding plants is utterly ludicrous. Those figures have been extracted from an archive from the 1950’s. Who has ever proposed this? Just gaslighting from the Labour Councillors as they can’t form a sensible objection.

      Councillor Miller should be ashamed of producing such a lazy and ill considered response, while trying to shut down the whole debate. I have voted Labour throughout. Never again

      Reply
  4. JamesK says:
    10 months ago

    it is alarming that Councillers Miller and Robins are allowed anywhere near heritage and parks and gardens when they seem to show nothing but contempt for what makes Brighton and Hove special and any residents trying to defend this. What on earth made them decided to become Councillors ? They would appear completely unsuited to the role.

    Reply
  5. Lee says:
    10 months ago

    The money to do this is available.It just needs the senior management to stop endlessly covering up wrongdoing and spending vast amounts of taxpayer’s money on hiding wrongdoing within the organisation just dealing with the wrongdoing and hold the individuals accountable rather than misleading the public , when doing investigations are just wasting money as the wrongdoing is so obvious. I am aware that they have spent thousands of pounds already uncovering up just two cases that probably would have kept the clock in place for ten years.

    So don’t believe there is no money they find the money when it directly impacts themselves. It’s a choice to remove it and is not a financial one.

    money available to keep the clock , rather than keeping individuals that are failing within the work environment for the wide , the public.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      10 months ago

      Those are two separate budgets that don’t interact with each other, Lee.

      Reply
  6. Stan Reid says:
    10 months ago

    As mentioned elsewhere a Sundial, but made by a local artist/sculptor/ someone ???

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      10 months ago

      I like this idea!

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Councillors make time to debate Floral Clock petition

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News