• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Dog behind string of city centre attacks to be destroyed

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 29 Oct, 2025 at 5:00PM
A A
10
Dog behind string of city centre attacks to be destroyed

A dog which launched unprovoked attacks on three other dogs in the city centre earlier this year is to be destroyed, a court has ruled.

Tycoon’s owner Christopher Coffey has also been banned from keeping dogs for two years after admitting three counts of owning a dangerously out of control dog.

Coffey, 27, had been ordered to keep Tycoon, described as a pit bull or Staffordshire bull terrier type of dog, muzzled and on a lead after the first two attacks in North Street in April and May.

But when his dog attacked for the third time in August, he was not wearing a muzzle or lead.

Brighton Magistrates’ Court was shown three videos of the attacks, in all of which Tycoon lunged at other dogs which had simply been passing by.

And in all cases, several adults had to help drag Tycoon off the other dog.

Prosecuting, Neil Sweeney said the first took place outside one of the vape shops in North Street when Maria Ward was walking her dog.

He said: “She saw another dog which she said didn’t look particularly friendly. She saw the dog was on a lead, and the owner was asleep on the street.

“The other dog lunged towards her dog, biting it on its neck.”

On 4 May, Chris Whittle was walking his dog past the Co-op when Tycoon launched towards them. It first bit Mr Whittle’s dog’s hind quarters and then ripped its ear apart.

Mr Whittle told police: “The dog had a very strong grip on my dog and it took many people to get it off.”

The final attack took place on 6 July outside the Pavilion Buildings when Ms Godson was walking her dog Mason.

Mr Sweeney said: “She saw a dog come from nowhere, a flash of black and white and the dog bit her dog.

“The dog did not have a muzzle on it.”

Ms Godson told police it took four people to get the dog off Mason. She said: “We were surrounded by members of the public. One said I’m going to stick my fingers up its arse – cover its nose so it can’t breathe and then it will let go.

“It took 30 seconds to a minute but it did let go. Then the people helping ran away.”

Coffey, representing himself, said he had not muzzled the dog because he could not read the community protection notice and nobody had explained it to him.

He said he thought it related to domestic violence against his partner.

He said: “All I can do is apologise – that’s all I can do. I didn’t even let my dog go, someone else was holding my dog.

“I have had animals all my life. I have bred dogs all my life and I have never had any issue until I became homeless and I was on the street 24/7.

“The government do not help you. This would have never happened if I didn’t lose my property.

“I’m a good dog owner and I love my dog to bits. He’s not a danger to the public. I have got to put a muzzle on him but I didn’t know, they didn’t explain it to me.”

Before the bench retired to consider the sentence and the application to destroy the dog, probation said it would not be appropriate for it to be kept at Coffey’s current address in Chichester, as his partner lives there and it would be a risk to her.

Presiding magistrate Raymond Brenton gave Coffey a 12-month community order with a requirement to undertake 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He also ordered the dog be destroyed after 21 days, giving Coffey time to appeal, and banned him from keeping dogs for two years.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 10

  1. Danny McEvoy says:
    10 months ago

    “I’m a good dog owner and I love my dog to bits. He’s not a danger to the public. I have got to put a muzzle on him but I didn’t know, they didn’t explain it to me.”

    Er…put a muzzle on your dog…the animal has attacked 3 other dogs…it’s not really complicated is it?

    Reply
  2. Johhny says:
    10 months ago

    He’s the one that should be put down!

    Reply
    • Rachel Lewis says:
      10 months ago

      The dog could be a danger to his partner, but it’s not dangerous? And he thought the notice related to domestic violence? So he’s a domestic abuser as well.

      Reply
  3. Pearl Drury says:
    10 months ago

    It’s not the dogs fault, it’s the owner, put him down as well !?!

    Reply
  4. Stig says:
    10 months ago

    Bad and irresponsible owners cause badly behaved and uncontrollable dogs.
    Get the dog(s) to a caring and responsible home and put the previous owner down instead!😬

    Reply
    • Adam green says:
      10 months ago

      Who you think I are that’s my good friend u don’t no what happened and the owner is a nice good person

      Reply
  5. Sickofidiots says:
    10 months ago

    Where is the rehab for people like this? Everyone saying he should be put down but in the next breath you slate those who don’t want illegal migrants. Hypocrites! So many born here with addiction and mental health issues who are discarded by society.

    Reply
  6. Davey Scott says:
    10 months ago

    Fraggle society, grow up.

    Reply
  7. Alex Matthews says:
    10 months ago

    Why is this man not in prison

    Reply
  8. Dave says:
    10 months ago

    So, 3 other dogs savagely attacked because he ‘can’t read’ so sleeps on the pavement in the city centre because it’s the governments fault he can’t be bothered to get a grip of him self…
    Also has previous for beating up his GF.

    I really do think it’s time the workhouse was brought back. These halfwits ruin our city and cost us soo much money it’s unreal.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Dog behind string of city centre attacks to be destroyed

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News