• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Activist accused of supporting Hamas told court is ‘not political forum’

by PA report
Thursday 20 Aug, 2026 at 4:25PM
A A
1
Brighton activist Tony Greenstein remanded in custody by court

Tony Greenstein

An activist charged with inviting support for Hamas was told by a judge her courtroom is “not a political forum” after he repeatedly answered questions by talking about the history of Israel and Palestine.

Tony Greenstein, 72, of Brighton, is on trial for one count of inviting support for a proscribed terrorist organisation at Kingston Crown Court.

The charge relates to three posts he made on X from October 7 2023, the day of a Hamas-led attack on Israel which triggered more than two years of war in Gaza.

On Thursday, Greenstein, who is a Jewish anti-Zionist activist, told the court in his evidence that he felt those attacks were “justified”, but he did not support Hamas.

He said: “When a colonial power holds another people down, they have the right to resist.”

Greenstein described Gaza as a “human prison” where Palestinians had been “locked up” for 57 years.

“It was a cage in which people lived. Imagine you could not escape 25 miles north of here and five miles wide, and imagine having to live there and not being allowed out,” he said.

On multiple occasions during his evidence, Judge Sarah Plaschkes KC halted proceedings to ask Greenstein to stop talking about the history of Israel and Palestine.

Greenstein said to the judge: “That’s the problem with the ruling class in this country, they turn a blind eye to genocide.”

Judge Plaschkes said: “Mr Greenstein you are on trial for a single count of inviting the support for a proscribed organisation, the jury have been sworn to be judges of that offence, you need to stay focused, this is not a political forum, this is a court of law.”

She later added: “This jury is not concerned with events in the Middle East, you need to stay focused on the count on this indictment.”

In the social media posts, Greenstein wrote the line: “Please share. Full support for the Gaza ghetto uprising,” the court heard.

Jurors were told the posts had links to a blog, which included the line: “The time to fight is now. Whatever criticisms one can make of Hamas, we should congratulate them on this well planned and audacious attack on the Zionist enemy.”

Greenstein argued “congratulating” Hamas was a figure of speech, and that the prosecution’s assertion was “absurd”.

He said: “Now if I was the recruitment sergeant you think I am, I wouldn’t have started with my criticisms would I?”

He had also written extensively about disagreeing with Hamas in his blog which has more than 3,500 posts, the court heard.

Titles of pieces Greenstein had published included “Hamas does its best to make Palestinian lives a misery”, and encouraged those who had “illusions” in Hamas to “think again”.

Lawrence McNulty, Greenstein’s barrister, asked: “Do you support Hamas?”

Greenstein replied: “I support it as part of the resistance, but as an organisation I do not support it.”

Mr McNulty asked: “Would you invite anyone to support Hamas as an organisation?”

“No, obviously not,” said Greenstein. “It would be absurd.”

Opening the case on Tuesday, prosecutor Kate Temple-Mabe said while there are a “great many people” who oppose the state of Israel, it is specifically a crime to invite support for Hamas.

Ms Temple-Mabe said while Greenstein did not mention Hamas by name in his X posts, his “reference to support for the ‘Gaza ghetto uprising’ – in that specific context, on that specific date – has to have meant support for Hamas”.

She said: “Mr Greenstein specifically expressed ‘full support’ for the actions of Hamas. He invited others to like and share his post.

“In the blog post, he said that Hamas should be congratulated. He also gave a rallying cry, saying that ‘the time to fight is now’.

“All of this, the prosecution say, was a clear invitation of moral or intellectual support for the proscribed organisation of Hamas.”

During cross-examination, Greenstein repeatedly denied inviting support for Hamas and said the prosecution had an “obsession” with the organisation.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Tracy Ward says:
    37 minutes ago

    Ironic since he is surely in the court room in the first place for his politics? I am no fan of this gentleman but if he is not advocating violence, and has been arrested for having unpopular opinions rather than posing a threat to anyone on British soil – which is the only soil British law has any jurisdiction over, let him go!
    Small wonder there is no court time left for actual criminals! Our once-envied British justice system is making itself a laughing stock tying itself up with all these non-crimes. Meanwhile we have women being raped on our beaches and gangs of child abusers running free.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Activist accused of supporting Hamas told court is ‘not political forum’

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News