• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Self-employed ‘risk falling through the gaps’ in coronavirus financial safety net

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Apr, 2020 at 12:10AM
A A
0
Self-employed ‘risk falling through the gaps’ in coronavirus financial safety net

Self-employed people are falling through the gaps when it comes to support from the government during the coronavirus crisis, according to people taking in an online business summit.

Small businesses, freelancers and the self-employed can currently claim a variety of support during the coronavirus crisis.

But the government’s commitment to pay 80 per cent of profits sees small business owners who earn money from dividends miss out.

Other workers falling through the cracks are people who take a series of short-term pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) contracts, those new to self-employment and women on maternity leave.

At an online summit organised by Brighton group The Projects, a members club for freelancers and small businesses, freelance representatives raised their concerns about how people would cope.

Wired Sussex managing director Phil Jones said that many of its members were worried about their future.

The organisation supports the digital and technology sector in the city and has 500 to 600 freelancers among its members.

Mr Jones said that it was initially a “terrible failing” of the government to forget freelancers when it came up with support packages for businesses furloughing staff during the lockdown.

Wired Sussex was one among many organisations to lobby the government to offer support for the self-employed, which it did in a matter of days.

Despite the government’s response, Mr Jones said that a survey of Wired Sussex members, with 274 responses, found just a quarter thought that they would survive.

The biggest worry is the delay in financial support until June.

Mr Jones said: “Banks need to give interest-free loans. There are people worried they will fall through the gaps of the scheme.

“Sixty per cent expect to suffer hardship as the government announcements do not cover them.

“They’re going to miss rent and mortgage payments or are not able to cover their family’s basic needs.

“We need to identify the challenges and work together.”

Allegra Chapman, director of Brighton Digital Women, said that it was a stressful time for the organisation’s members but it had a positive outcome for some.

The positives included a “levelling of the playing field” as partners take on more childcare.

Companies that previously opposed flexible working have had to backtrack, which Ms Chapman hopes will continue after the lockdown ends.

Women were still struggling to juggle childcare and full-time work if their partners did not help or they were single parents.

Ms Chapman said: “They’re worried that if they cannot perform brilliantly under these impossible circumstances, they may lose what income they still have.

“It’s a stressful time for a lot of women.”

She hit out at the language used to describe the self-employed, with suggestions of tax-dodgers sitting in pyjamas.

Ms Chapman said: “For employed people, it’s support. For the self-employed it’s a handout.

“There are suggestions we’re fiddling tax returns which is offensive to people working hard and paying into the system.

“The Chancellor said it would be difficult to justify the difference in tax and national insurance for the self-employed.

“But we don’t get sick pay, maternity cover, carers allowance and holiday pay. We don’t have the same protections.”

Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas said that her team was overwhelmed by the concerns raised by freelancers and the self-employed.

She said that it underlined how freelancers and small businesses were a thriving and essential sector in the city.

The Green MP said: “Our job is to highlight areas that are not thought through when the scheme was designed, but it was designed very quickly.

“We are deeply concerned there is a range of people who are not covered by the self-employed package and need to be.

“We need to hear about the gaps, people have to wait until June and there are problems with universal credit.

“I’m glad they did it, but our biggest concern is for people who fall outside the rules.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Self-employed ‘risk falling through the gaps’ in coronavirus financial safety net

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
April 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News