• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Madeira Drive events will return, council says

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 16 Jul, 2020 at 1:05PM
A A
8
Two petitions show dividing lines over cycle lanes in Brighton and Hove


Events such as the Veteran Car Run will return to Madeira Drive, the city council has pledged weeks after saying the road’s closure could become permanent.

The seafront road has been closed for most of lockdown to motorised traffic to give people more space to run and cycle.

Brighton and Hove’s Conservatives raised concerns about the future of the many car-centred events which take place there, and last month the Labour administration said the future of these – and whether the road remains closed – would be reviewed in the autumn.

But this week, it pledged that these events would return “stronger than ever before” even if the road was not reopened at other times.

Gary Wilkinson, deputy chair of the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee said: “Madeira Drive has a long history of hosting key events in the city including the Brighton Marathon, the London to Brighton Bike Ride and the Veteran Car Run, and we fully support those events returning stronger than ever before.

“They are an iconic part of the city’s culture and success and we look forward to them being part of our city’s future for years to come.

“At the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, we temporarily closed the road to motor vehicles to provide a safe space for our residents to walk and cycle.

“The closure has allowed people to exercise while being able to keep a safe distance from one another and we have received a lot of positive feedback from those who’ve used the space over the last few months.

“While the temporary road closure remains in place, Madeira Drive will be open and available when necessary to host these events in both the short and long term. We will continue to work with event organisers to ensure a full programme can return to Madeira Drive in a healthier, stronger and safer city.

“We will be bringing forward this programme to committee in September.”

Councillor Robert Nemeth said: “I’m pleased we’ve put the brakes on Labour’s plan and I welcome confirmation that the future of motoring events on Madeira Drive is now secure.

“It’s a win for the Old Crocks, the Speed Trials, the Mods, The Rockers, the Minis and all of the other loved motoring events that take place on Madeira Drive” he said.

“It should never have had to come to this – Labour should never have put our famous events under review.

“These events bring in millions of pounds in tourism revenue every year and are a key part of the fabric of the city.

“They are valued by our City’s residents and one of the highest-signed petitions of all time to the council was to save the Speed Trials – it is staggering that Labour put these events at risk.

“The Conservatives will continue to stand up for our historic motoring events on Madeira Drive.”

A consultation on all the temporary changes to the city’s roads during the lockdown can be found here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Al says:
    6 years ago

    Interesting that the Conservatives ONLY care about the planet-polluting events being put on over everything else. The Speed Trials aren’t even the biggest event on the calendar.

    This from the party that wants to ruin the junction by the Palace Pier. They are fed up with experts and have always had the self-entitled attitude of thinking they know better. They don’t.

    Reply
    • Rolivan says:
      6 years ago

      Why are the Conservatives trying to ruin the Palace Pier Junction?
      Keeping a roundabout in a bigger form would be the better solution,the only people benefiting from traffic lights would be Siemens.

      Reply
      • Peter says:
        6 years ago

        Not sure you have that right Rolivan.

        From what I understand the Cons are against a T junction to replace the roundabout. It is Labour and Greens that want to kill traffic movement there

        Reply
        • Rolivan says:
          6 years ago

          It was a question I was putting to Al.

          Reply
  2. Paul J Williams says:
    6 years ago

    Partially good news but Madeira Drive remains closed, negatively impacting on our struggling local economy and the matter will be put before Full Council on 23rd July.
    Meantime petition to reopen Madeira Drive to all users heading for 10,000 signatures.
    https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=694&RPID=36228340&HPID=36228340

    Reply
  3. Paul J Williams says:
    6 years ago

    PS: For what it’s worth I am no fan of a junction replacing the roundabout either, but that would be a separate battle.
    We used to talk about traffic ‘flow’ in this country. Now it is all about how to obstruct traffic and create unnecessary pollution.

    Reply
  4. Nathan Adler says:
    6 years ago

    You have to laugh at Cllr Wilkinson saying the closure is ‘popular’, (can anyone else here the echo). Labour would do well to look at the numbers on the epetitions and get on with reopening Madeira Drive and doing what Cllr Platts pledged putting jobs and livelihoods first.

    Reply
  5. roy pennington says:
    6 years ago

    this admin. is inept and corrupt

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Madeira Drive events will return, council says

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Darling, Brighton Fringe, May 20th 2026

Review: Darling

21 May 2026
Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News