• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove well placed to recover from economic effects of coronavirus measures

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 25 Oct, 2020 at 12:58PM
A A
1
Student robbed  by gang at Brighton bus stop

Brighton and Hove is in a better economic position than much of the wider city region, according to a leading local business figure.

Gavin Stewart, executive director of the Brighton and Hove Economic Partnership, spelt out some of the challenges faced by local firms.

But he told political, business and education leaders that the situation in Brighton and Hove was “not as bleak” as in other parts of Sussex.

Mr Stewart told a meeting of the Greater Brighton Economic Board that national businesses were closing premises and laying off staff.

But, he said, they tended to be keeping a presence in places like Brighton.

At the “virtual” meeting on Tuesday (20 October) Mr Stewart told the board that he had consulted with a wide variety of businesses on behalf of Brighton and Hove City Council.

Mr Stewart said: “What we’re hearing from national retailers especially is there’s going to be a significant number of shops closing, There’s no two ways about it.

“What they’re looking to do is concentrate their efforts in more regional hubs.

He described the situation as “relatively positive news” for Brighton and Hove, as one of the top retail centres in the region.

The number of people visiting central Brighton had increased over the summer but had not reached pre-lockdown levels, he said.

Footfall was currently at about 60 per cent of the level before the coronavirus outbreak.

He said: “What we are hearing from businesses is footfall is down but spend has gone up.

“In terms of people coming into town to do their shopping, people are coming in specifically to do their shopping. They’re not coming in to browse so much any more.”

Gavin Stewart

Looking at the wider industries prevalent in Brighton and Hove, Mr Stewart said that the Economic Partnership was looking to find out what help freelancers and people working in the arts and culture would need.

He said: “One of the main things has been mental health. Huge swathes of people’s lives have just been stopped overnight.

“There is a need to support grassroots projects and market the city and the wider city region.”

Mr Stewart said that the recent government announcement of funding for the arts and culture supported just the financial part of the problem.

He added: “We can look at monetising 5G so we don’t just have a local or regional audience but we can bring in a worldwide audience to see things at the Dome.

“It is something we should be pushing forward on.”

Churchill Square in Brighton

Businesses in the financial services sector were adjusting to a contraction in central London.

Organisations in Brighton and Hove were talking about opening up their space to other companies, as well as changing office layouts into a more co-working style with breakout spaces.

Brighton and Hove’s outlook was in contrast to the situation in the coastal West Sussex area, including Bognor and Littlehampton, where at least 133,000 people had been furloughed. Many looked likely to lose their jobs.

The board was told that young people aged 16 to 25 looked like being the hardest hit by the prospect of unemployment as the furlough scheme ended.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Queenie says:
    6 years ago

    It’s no fault of Mr Stewart, or the Greater Brighton Board, but the ‘coronavirus measures’ look set to cause the biggest recession in almost a century, and with it, untold harm to people’s health, and to our ability to fund a proper Health Service from taxes. It’s not popular to say it, but this Government, like some other European Governments, have adopted an almost suicidal approach, in economic terms, and the countries enforcing the severest lockdowns have ended up with the highest death rates. A lockdown is no way to beat a virus, but it’s a surefire way to bankrupt a country. Good luck Mr Stewart!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton and Hove well placed to recover from economic effects of coronavirus measures

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
October 2020
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News