• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors revoke Brighton pizza parlour’s late-night licence

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 20 Dec, 2021 at 9:14PM
A A
1
Late-night pizza takeaway riles neighbours

A Brighton pizza parlour has lost its late-night licence after breaking a number of licensing conditions.

My Yummie Pizza, in Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, is no longer allowed to trade after 11pm.

The decision was made by a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel after a review hearing held at the request of Sussex Police.

The takeaway’s owner, Khaled Mohamed, 53, has held a late-night licence since July last year and, since then, Sussex Police said, there had been a series of licensing breaches.

The pizza parlour was found trading after its permitted hours without a licence, it had no working security cameras – a licence requirement – and neighbours complained about anti-social behaviour there.

In September, Mr Mohamed was granted a later licence for deliveries only.

But the licensing panel was told that, in the same month, police officers swabbed surfaces at the premises for traces of drugs after receiving “intelligence”.

Five of the eight swabs indicated that there had been “bulk” amounts of cocaine on two toilet seats, a cistern, a shelf and a sink in the customer toilets.

Sussex Police also said that it was investigating a fight between Mr Mohamed’s son and a former member of staff.

At the licensing panel review hearing, on Friday 10 December, Mr Mohamed said that he had fired a member of staff suspected of using drugs.

He said that he had also removed all flat surfaces from the toilets to deter drug users.

His actions were not enough to win over the panel made up of three councillors who said that they did not find Mr Mohamed’s explanations “credible or persuasive in all the circumstances”.

The three councillors – Carmen Appich, Lizzie Deane, and Clare Moonan – said that Mr Mohamed had received “yellow cards” previously but had still not complied with the licensing conditions.

The panel said: “The licence holder has shown a lack of awareness of his responsibilities as a licence holder and has failed to operate his licence in a responsible manner in accordance with the terms and conditions on the licence.

“Regrettably, the panel does not have confidence in his ability to promote the licensing objectives going forward.

“We are concerned that if the premises continues to trade beyond 11pm, there is a strong likelihood of the licensing objectives being further undermined.

“The panel thus agree with the police and licensing authority that the only appropriate step in this case in order to promote the licensing objectives is to revoke the licence.”

Mr Mohamed has 21 days to appeal – from the date of the decision – before his late trading licence is revoked.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    5 years ago

    What’s more, so many of these pizza places are simply a reheating outfit rather than creating pizzas from proved dough in an oven.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Councillors revoke Brighton pizza parlour’s late-night licence

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
December 2021
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News